3

Everyone ran out the door, jumped down the stairs and shoved out the gate for dinner at Pickett and Sutton. The Thursday(EVERYONE I MEANT THURSDAY I NEVER REREAD THIS IM SORRY I PROBS WROTE THIS AT LIKE 1 IN THE MORNING) evening was clear and refreshing, and everyone was full of energy. Darry had given you and Ponyboy permission to go to the nightly double together, as long as the both of you came home at midnight. Ever since the incident, Ponyboy had always been earlier than his assigned time to come home. He's extremely cautious of the time, as though he would be killed if he was late (I am so sorry). You put your arm around his while you walked into town, he was your bodyguard.

"So, y/n, what do you suppose we go to the drive-in for just one movie, then go to the vacant lot to star gaze?" He looked down at you, the street light angled so you could only see half of his face. He made you feel so happy, you were ready to give in. Nine years after friendship, and you're ready to tell him you want it to be something more. He looked down with excitement to the night ahead, the night ahead with you. His grey-green eyes were dark, but they gave you light. Ponyboy was everything to you. You thought about his suggestion, puzzled and concerned. Why so brave Ponyboy?
"P-Pony, are you sure you want to go the v-vacant lot?"
"Y/n, I have a jacket, I'll be warm. And, y-yeah the v-vacant lot. I think I need to push out the bad vibes from there, with you. Just with you, y/n. We need to bring it back to, to life." At the words, you blushed in the dark. Your heart sped up a little, it started pounding out of your chest and your belly felt weak. Yet you thoroughly thought about it again. You were so used going with Johnny. It was where he retreated from his parents if he didn't stay with the  Curtis' or you. It felt like a major step.
"Only me you say?"
"Only you."

The gang arrived at Pickett and Sutton and ordered their food. Everybody sat in a booth, you sat next to Steve and Pony was across from you sitting next to his brothers. Everyone chit-chatted about their days and so forth, they ate like pigs when dinner was served. For once, Darry didn't worry about the check. You were proud of him, he deserved the promotion he got. You knew it wouldn't change much when it comes to paying bills and paying for food and clothes etc, but it was a great achievement. All of the gang were proud of him.

You all walked out of Pickett and Sutton with full bellies and grins, Two-Bit went off to find something illegally fun around town and you were ready to go to the drive-in.
"Darry, is it alright if y/n and I go to the drive-in now? Home by midnight."
"Oh Pony don't even worry about curfew, go have fun, mess around. But don't mess around too much, or you'll be dead by breakfast tomorrow you got it?" Darry was too happy to care, he trusted Pony and he trusted you.
"I got it Darry." The both of you went in different directions, you were next to Pony and you were anticipated to see what movie you were going to watch.

You climbed under the wire fence to the drive in with Ponyboy's assistance, you found a seat and he sat next to you. He turned his head to you. He opened his small mouth to say something, but he hesitated.
"Y/n, I needa say somethin'." You turned back to him and looked deep into his eyes, you were freaking out inside. Yet you had a smile on your face, you were happy to be where you were.
"What's up Pony?"
"Oh, um, the sky. You must be silly to keep asking me that question y/n." He smiled and laughed his admirable laugh that you cherished. It was a melody you grew up with, you heard it and it always placed a smile right on your face. You giggled and playfully head-butted him.
"Well y/n, I was gonna say: I-I, I want popcorn, do you want to share it?"
"I would love some popcorn right now actually, plain, or maybe just a little bit of salt?"
"I couldn't be happier with what you just suggested! I'll be back in a bit." He walked off and you settled to watch the movie on the big silver screen. What a friend to have, what would I do without him?

On the sentence, horrible thoughts drowned into you as you thought of the five horrible days he was in Windrixville with Johnny. Johnny, Johnny, Johnny Cade. Oh how you missed the amazing boy, you never knew the last time you would see him would be at the hospital with Ponyboy and Two-Bit before the rumble. You loved him so much, the most amazing friend to tag along with. You knew him since Ponyboy introduced him at school, it was always the three of you. You thought Pony was going to die then too until he came back to you. He made a promise to you that night before the rumble: he'd never leave you. He placed a leather bracelet around your wrist which hasn't come off once since. You thought all was going to be lost, you'd have nothing left. Then Johnny died, and you became half empty. A tear falls from your eye, then another. Before you knew it, you were silently crying to yourself. Your eyes closed, your head down and your knees against you in the chair. You wanted to scream, punish the world for all the bad in it. Leave it.

You heard footsteps nearing you, you quickly wiped your eyes and drew deep breaths. You didn't want Ponyboy seeing you sad like that, he was happy and he didn't deserve it right now.
He sat down and you were too scared to look at him, but he picked it up.
"Y/n, look at me." You sniffled and turned to him, but looked past his face. Only wanting to avoid eye to eye contact. You couldn't take it though, you frowned, ready to cry again. Crumbling into his chest, sobbing your tears on his jacket.
"Oh Pony, you know, I thought I was going to loose you last Summer. You and Johnny. And, and when Johnny died, it felt like half of my heart died. I could never deal with it all if you weren't here for me. I miss Johnny so much, I miss him so so much." You just quietly let all your sadness out. The need to cry felt like it lasted forever, until all you could do was breathe slowly on Ponyboy's chest. He put his hand on your head and gently played with your hair, you loved it when he played with your hair.
"The movie finished." Pony quietly whispered to you.
"Already? Oh I'm sorry Ponyboy, I didn't let you enjoy the movie."
"It doesn't bother me, it didn't seem interesting anyway. You mean more to be than any movie could y/n. You're my best friend, you mean everything to me." You hugged him as you both got up to go, so grateful.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what ya reckon? I'm really confused as to what I have written already especially while I was writing, so I cannot wait to re-read over this but I really cannot be bothered! Hope this chapter was alright!!

-Lily 🌅🌅