Chapter 3: Proffessional Courtesy

Most of us are sleeping soundly when the buzzer goes off, "Accident, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61." I roll off of my bed with a groan and we pull on items of clothing, practically crawling to the vehicles with our eyes half closed.

We wake ourselves up as much as possible because it's important to be at your most alert on scene.

We arrive and one car is in the centre of the road while another is tipped over onto its roof, balancing on the bridge, hanging over the edge dangerously. Casey goes over to the centre vehicle but the boy inside is fine and then all the firemen hold onto the front of the car, attempting to stop it from crashing down.

Dawson and I grab our bags and the gurney heading over to where everyone else is to try and help the people inside the car while the men are releasing to them. They're upside down, which causes difficulties on its own.

"Hey, sir, just sit tight there for me, all right? Don't try and unbuckle yourself." Severide tells the man.

"Is he all right? My son? He's not saying anything." The man asks and I reach inside, putting two fingers to his neck.

I hold them there until I feel the pulse, "Yeah, he's alive, sir."

"Oh, thank God." He breathes out.

"We're gonna need a second ambo." Dawson radios.

"Two more! Driver of the first car over there." I say, "I need two back boards."

"Where's those jaws?" Severide asks and Capp jogs over handing him the equipment.

"Too tight?" I ask.

"Yeah! Ah! We're gonna go through the windshield. And get me a pick head." Sev calls out to anyone.

"Coming up."

"What happened?" The boy inside asks, his eyes flying open.

"You're gonna be okay, buddy." I tell him.

"Hockey fan, huh?" Casey asks.

"We were headed to Evanston for his tournament." His dad answers, "Are you okay, Mikey?"

"Yeah, I think so. What happened?"

"You've been involved in an accident, we're gonna get you out." I tell him and then take a step back as Squad start to cut away at the windshield.

They soon get them out and we C-Collar them, put them on a board and transport them to the hospital giving them both immediate on scene care as well.

*

"Good morning," Casey says as Dawson and I check our supplies over in the van and make sure everything is in proper working order.

"Uh oh, we're either in trouble or he wants something." I turn around and Gabby chuckles while Casey raises his eyebrows and looks at her.

"You got a sec?"

"Laters." I wave and walk away so they can chat in 'private'.

I head into the main area and see a full English breakfast with sausages, bacon, toast, egg, mushrooms and hashbrowns. I ignore most of it and toast my own whole grain seeded bread before crushing half an avocado on to it and then put a poached egg on the top.

"Mo, do you ever look at a warm, crispy cookie with chocolate chips and whipped cream and think, I'd love to stuff that in my face?" Herrmann asks.