Chapter 32: You Will Hurt Him

I'm stood in the, now cleaned up, kitchen which was previously covered in shattered glass. In fact the whole house was. It was disastrous. All of Shay's, Kelly's and Otis' things were either broken or stolen by Devon.

I've made some scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast and Kelly is sat on one of the barstools opposite me wearing dark jeans and a khaki green T-Shirt looking amazingly handsome.

Otis picks up the remote to turn on the T.V. and looks up when nothing happens. "Oh, that's right." he remembers. It was stolen. "Hey, have we heard anything at all from the police or an insurance company or--"

"That's a good question." replies Kelly and he looks to Shay who's climbing the stairs.

"I'm on it, I'm on it." she assures everyone. "I filed the claim. And, you know, I'm gonna check back in with the cops today. But right now I got to get ready. I'm gonna be late for my shift."

"Hey, did you even tell the cops that it was Devon?" asks Kelly.

"You think I'm protecting her? She ripped me off too." Shay reminds him. "Morgan, why don't you come back to 51? Everybody's asking about you." she turns to me.

"I was asked to leave, it wasn't my choice." I say.

"So ask to be a ride-along for the day," she shrugs, "we just want you at the house with all of us."

"What? To keep an eye on me? Check I don't try to wish my problems away with alcohol again or do something worse?" I snap at her.

"No, we just miss you is all." Kelly replies for her. "Please," he pouts. "Boden didn't mean what he said to you."

I think about it for a moment and then sigh, "I will come in to speak to Chief, but I'm not promising anything."

I go upstairs and change into my paramedic uniform before we head over to the firehouse. I go straight to Chief's office and knock on the door. "Come in," he says.

"Before you say anything," I begin, "I'm not here to tread on anyone's toes, I'm here to ask if I can at least ride along today?"

He looks at me for a moment, "I may have overreacted last shift." He admits. "Of course you can spend the shift with us, but just to warn you McAuley is the replacement."

"Seriously," I whine. McAuley is the kind of irritating person that is constantly negative. Have you had a cold? Too bad, McAuley's had pneumonia.

Boden lets out a low chuckle. "I owe you an apology," he says more seriously. "You've been through some traumatic experiences and you need to deal with them in your own way, I understand that."

"It's okay," I say, also understanding his ever growing need to protect this house. I leave his office again to find Dawson and tell her that I have permission to ride along.

"Hey, Dawson?" I go up behind her.

"Morgan?" she asks with wide eyes and then her face returns back to normal. "Wow, ur.."

"Chief said its cool if I ride along with you and McAuley today, are you okay with that?" I ask her and she instantly nods.

"Yeah, I," she seems as though she's going to say something but she doesn't. I really thought she was going to apologise and we could get back to normal.