Chapter 24: The Single Life

Start from the beginning

They suddenly heard a clatter come from the den in the House. Drew and Jonathan came running into Alex’s Training Facility.

“Arthur and Grace… They... they were… A couple…” Drew spoke in between pants, one arm leaning against one of the worktables.

“Why are you so exhausted? You guys teleported, right?” Dani said, bewildered by their shortness of breath. Dani and Ash began helping Drew and Jonathan into some chairs.

“We did... but we faced … a couple Fallen… Fallen Angels on our… our way back. We were busy … running from them … and trying to… to fight them off. If they came … to the Angel’s Realm... the Fallens could … wreak havoc on all of... us.” Jonathan said in between breaths. He was right. No Fallen Angel has entered the Angel’s Realm, and it needed to stay that way. If any Fallen Angel entered the Realm, it could lead to the fall of the Realm, and the entire Angelic population.

“Are you guys hurt?” Ash said, checking on Jonathan, searching for any scratches and wounds.

“I’m fine, but you better check on Drew. He took an arrow to his left arm and it could get infected.” Jonathan answered, his breathing stabilizing.

“Marco, Hazel! Drew’s hurt!” Dani shouted. Marco and Hazel came running in and immediately carried Drew, one arm over each of their shoulders, as they returned to Marco’s TF. “Did you find anything about Arthur and Grace?”

“They were dating, engaged actually. 3 years.” Jonathan quickly responded.

Violet suddenly, came out of nowhere. “What was that noise?”

“Drew’s hurt.” Dani swiftly reiterated.

“What do you mean, Drew’s hurt?” Vi asked, her face contorted into one of shock.

“Just that, he’s hurt. He took an arrow to the arm.” Ash responded. Vi bolted out of the room, and ran into Marco’s Training Facility. Ash and Dani soon followed.

“Drew… Oh my god, Drew! Your arm!” Vi said, looking at his bare arm, which wasn’t healing. In fact it looked like it was only getting worse. The single wound was deeply penetrated through multiple layers of skin and there was blood continuing to flow out of the circular laceration. “Why isn’t he healing?”

“The Fallens are known for making weapons Guardians can’t heal easily from. We have some medicines that may help though.” Marco responded, not losing focus from Drew. Even though Angels can heal from almost any wound, Fallens have figured out ways to make weapons that can cause great harm to Guardians. These weapons have special toxins and poisons which were manufactured in Hell, and very difficult to recover from. Drew began losing consciousness, his eyes slowly closing. “Drew, come on, stay with me.” Marco muttered, as he began ransacking the cabinets as Hazel began checking his vitals.

“His blood pressure is decreasing rapidly. He’s lost a lot of blood.” Hazel stated.

“But he’s going to be OK, right?” Vi asked, frantic. “Hazel, is he going to be ok?”

“Vi, I really don’t know.” Hazel replied. Hazel never wanted to give anyone false hope. She was always careful, and a great Medic, but some people just cannot survive easily, and it isn’t fair to lie to someone just to make them feel better. Dani began helping Marco look through the cabinets for anti-infection medications. Marco found a jar of a translucent blue ointment, and began applying it to Drew’s wound. He let out a ghastly scream. Vi gasped.

“What are you doing to him?” Violet shouted, trying to get close to him only to be pushed back by Ash. “You’re hurting him!”

“The ointment is to prevent any further damage. Hopefully, his arm will start to heal.” Marco said, never losing focus of Drew’s injury.

“Can you guys leave? We can’t work when people are shouting at us every second.” Hazel retorted, pushing Vi, Dani and Ash out of the TF.

“Drew…” Vi whispered, looking in from the window. Drew was lying down quietly, as Marco and Hazel continued to apply ointment to the wound.

“He’ll be fine, Vi.” Ash said, giving her a little hug.

“Marco and Hazel know what they are doing. I wouldn’t worry.” Dani added. Marco and Hazel began waving their hands over Drew’s arm, extracting any harmful bacteria. Hazel then began stitching up his wound, taking out a needle and some thread. Although Marco and Hazel could easily have healed him first, basic treatment was necessary before any sort of gifted help.

“See, he’s fine. It’s just gonna be a while before he can go out into the field again.” Marco said, stepping out of the TF.

“Can I?” Vi asked. Marco nodded, letting Vi into his TF. Violet then sat down next to Drew, held his hand, and smiled. Her eyes were never taken off of Drew. Dani and Ash looked on from behind the window.

“They never stopped loving each other, did they?” Ash asked, whispering.

“Nope.” Dani said, popping the “p”. “We should go into the woods. Drew and Jonathan will heal. We should go.” Dani pulled Ash outside the House. “Should I?”

“Go for it. I teleported us last.” Ash smiled, remembering how Dani wouldn’t let go of his arm.

“All right.” Dani said. She held onto Asher’s arm, her fingernails almost puncturing through his clothes. She mumbled, “Battle Ground, New York.”