"Forget the past, darling."

Martha's POV;

My legs pounded the harsh concrete floor, keeping a steady rhythm along with my heart beat. Beads of sweat formed on my brow, and my long, wavy, blonde hair blew wildly into my startling blue eyes. I felt the first few rain drops start to fall, but that didn't stop me from running. A herd of a wild horses blocking my path couldn't of stopped me. Soon I was soaked through to my skin, the wet denim of my jeans rubbed against my legs but I didn't dare slow down. Thunder rattled in the distance, rolling in off the sea. I knew I was close, the trees surrounding me began to part, giving way to a sheer drop. I skidded to a stop, sending rocks down onto the sandy beach below. The black clouds hung heavy over the ocean, and I swear I only stopped for a moment to watch the lightning flashing in the distance. I felt harsh hands grab my arm, I tried to kick, to break free of the grasp, but my attacker was too strong. "Get off of me!" I yelled, but I just heard a laugh. An evil laugh, it sent shivers down my spine. "Tell me where the child is." The man sneered. I leaned closer to him, lowering my voice to a sinister whisper, "never." Then I managed to escape his grasp, and before the man could grab hold of me again. I was gone. I had already jumped.

I jumped upright in bed, my heart was pounding and my whole body was shaking. I looked around my dark room. "It was just a dream." I whispered to myself, over and over again. I reached for the lamp on my bedside table, instantly illuminating my room. I had to shield my eyes against the glare, but I could just about to see the clock. It was 3am, I groaned. I felt too wired to go back to sleep, so instead I reached for the diary that lay open on my bedside table. I looked at the familiar handwriting, re-read the words and the scene that I had just dreamt.

I must've fallen asleep whilst reading my Mum's diary, because I woke up again clutching it, at 8am. I panicked at first, until I realised it was a Saturday. I sunk deeper into my bed and under my duvet, thrilled at the thought of no school. I decided I would finish reading my mum's diary, as I only had a few pages left, and this was the last one. I found about five of them, or more so my grandmother did, when she was clearing out her garage.

May 9th 2020
My beautiful girl, is one month old today. Of course, I am stuck in the hospital and unable to see her, but I am sure Mum's doing a good job looking after her. She came to visit me last week, with Grandma, which I was very pleased about. They, especially Grandma, made it very clear I am in here through no fault of my own. I know, that's true, and jumping off a cliff wasn't a good idea. But I had to save myself, from that man, that horrible horrible man. He must never find the baby, ever. For as long as I live I will protect her from him, he may be her Grandfather and her blood. But he tried to kill me, and he will try to kill her. I will not have her become someone like him. I will die to stop it.

And she did.

May 16th 2020
They have finally discharged me. I had a very kind nurse, who snuck me some cake from the hospital kitchen to celebrate my going home. "Thank you." I smiled to her, she wore wire rimmed glasses and had short grey hair. "Now, take care of yourself, no more jumping off cliffs." She said sternly, I laughed. "I promise." I hope I can keep it, I don't like breaking promises. "Give that little girl of yours a kiss from me." She had said as I left my room. "I will!" Mum and Grandma, and the baby picked me up from the hospital. I still have to use a walking stick to help me walk, but I feel a lot better on my feet. Most of the cuts and bruises have started to heal, I have a scar on my forehead which will probably always be there. I think it looks pretty cool, anyway. My baby girl smiled, at least I think it was a smile, when she saw me which made me very happy. I'm glad she missed me too.

18th May 2020
That man is back. He phoned the house, my mother's house, this morning. I told mum not to answer, she didn't. She wants to involve MI5, but I told her no. He'll slip under the radar too easily, he's done it before. They've locked me and the baby in a bedroom upstairs, as they don't trust me not to sneak out and sort it. Too bad there's a window in here, and too bad I'm pretty slim, though not as agile as I was before I jumped off that bloody cliff. Still, I'll get out. I can't live in fear, I can't have my daughter live in fear.

There were no more diary entries after that. I felt a tear roll down my face, but brushed it away angrily. I didn't know this woman, so I didn't get to be sad about it. No, not anymore. I shut the book that still had a dozen or so blank pages, almost crying out to be written in. I reached for a pen that sat on my dressing table, my hands working on autopilot. I had no idea what I was doing, not until I had reopened my mother's last diary and stated writing the words.

15th October 2037
I'm sorry mum. I'm so so sorry. I'm going to find out who this man was, my Grandfather. If he's still alive I'm going to stop him from doing this to anyone else, ever again. I'm going to find out what you died for mum, even if it kills me.

I shut the diary and placed it on my bedside table, throwing the duvet off me as I did. I stepped out of bed, the wooden floorboards of my bedroom were cold beneath my feet as I walked towards my floor to ceiling mirrors and stared at my reflection. My long dark hair almost reached my waist, and I had piercing blue eyes like my mother's. There was a photo of her as a teenager tapped to the corner of my mirror, I reached up to this photo now, holding it in my hands. My mother was sat laughing, at a joke that had long since been forgotten. There was a boy with dark hair and warm brown eyes sat besides her, I had no idea who he was. My mother was Cammie Lewis, and my name is Martha Devries.

• • •

I hope you enjoyed!

I n s t a g r a m: pengmendes

- Naomi x