Problem Solvers

Riley's POV:

Finally we are dismissed for lunch and I practically run to the cafeteria, skipping the lunch line because I know I won't eat it anyways with all that's going on.

When I get to the cafeteria I see that Maya is already in her spot at our usual table. I sit down next to her and put my bag on the table.

"What are we gonna do?" I ask before she can say anything.

"Well first, we're gonna take deep breaths." She says. I notice that I'm panting from running half way across the school and from panicking at the same time.

I slowly breathe in and out. Once my breathing gets back to normal, Maya says, "Now," but before she can say anything else a voice cuts her off. "Look who it is," I look up and see none other than Charlie Gardner looking down at us. "The school lesbians. You know, we haven't had this much talk about someone since the old gym teacher was caught making out with the photography teacher." He chuckles.

"Hey, back off." I hear someone else say. I look to the left to see Lucas towering over Charlie, making him look like the wimp that he actually is.

"Or what?" Charlie asks, trying to mask his fear.

"I don't think you wanna know." Lucas says menacingly.

Charlie finally backs down. "Fine. But just so you know," He turns to Maya and Me, "this isn't over."

"Oh, it looks pretty over to me." Lucas says. He steps forward quickly and suddenly as if he was going to do something to Charlie, making Him fall over onto the dirty cafeteria floor.

I hear laughter come from all around us at the sight of Charlie on the floor, and He gets up, mumbling the word "Whatever." As he walks away.

"Thanks Lucas." I say.

"It's what I do." He says sitting down.

Farkle then joins us, along with Zay and Smackle. I realize that we haven't really hung out with them at all ever since the dance. We haven't gotten very close to them yet, but they're still our friends. I can't believe I completely forgot about them.

"Wow," Zay says, "I knew that you guys were a tight group of friends, but I never knew that a little bit of drama could cause you to ice out your other friends.

"We're sorry guys, there's just been a lot going on lately with...everything and we haven't had any time to talk to you." Lucas says.

"We understand." Smackle says. "We just wish you would've told us before you told Missy."

"Wait, told Missy what?" Maya asks.

"That you and Riley are dating." Smackle says. "I mean I think that's great, so does Zay. We're just surprised that you told her first."

"What makes you think that we told Her about us?" Maya asks.

"Because," Smackle says, "She's the one who's been going around telling everyone. I heard her talking about it to her friends. My locker is really close to hers, so it's really easy to hear what they're saying."

"Oh my God." I say. "Of course."

"What?" Lucas asks.

"I bet Charlie told Missy since I told him last night and we got into an argument. He told me I would regret it, but I never knew he would use Missy to get revenge. Especially since She cheated on Him."

"But that's the thing that doesn't make sense." Farkle says. "Missy and Charlie obviously hate each other. Why would she be so quick to trust Him about this?"

"Because," Maya says, "She had already had her suspicions. She was in the bathroom Friday morning when Riley and I were talking about how we kissed. And then she ran into us at the movie theater and made a sarcastic remark about how adorable we were."

"Wait," I say, "She was there? I thought I saw you check to see if anyone was there."

"I did." She says. "She must've had her feet up because she stormed out of there after you left, probably pissed after you said that Charlie was the one who told you about Lucas and Her."

"Wait, I'm confused." Zay says. "It sounds like Missy really hated Charlie. Why would they all of a sudden team up against you two when you've never done anything to her?"

"Well, I did slap her in the face at the dance." Maya says.

"And she's always hated me because Lucas liked me more than her." I add.

"So this is all for her revenge on you two. But what does Charlie get out of it?" Lucas asks.

"I hurt him." I say. "I chose Maya over him, and told him he was nothing to me. He liked me, he admitted it. He put his feelings out there, and I smashed them to the ground." I feel a tight knot of guilt in my chest. I turn to Maya. "You said that we need to stop this rumor. And by doing that, we had to find the source of it. Well now we did. And I think I know what I have to do to end all this drama."

"Come out to everyone?" Maya asks.

"Yes, eventually, but I have to do this on my own. Tonight. I'm going to apologize to Charlie, and make him see that Missy is just using him to get back at us. Maybe then we can finally put this behind us."

Maya nods.

"Is there anything we can do to help?" Farkle asks.

"Yes." Maya says. "Dig up as much dirt on Missy as possible. We'll need as much information as we can get if we want to put her in her place."

By then lunch is over and we all get up except for Maya who tugs on my hand, making me turn around.

"What's wrong, Peaches?" I ask.

"Nothing, but you're not the only one doing some explaining tonight." She says.

"What do you mean?" I ask as I pull my brows together in confusion.

"I'm telling Josh about us. I'm nervous he won't take it well."

I sit down and give her a reassuring hug. "Everything will work itself out eventually, Maya." I say. "We just have to stay together and keep our friends close."

We pull apart and stand up together, holding hands until we have to turn different ways down the hallway. I watch her walk away and I know that I comforted her, but it wasn't enough. Screw it. I think to myself. I don't care what other people think.

I run down the hallway and turn Maya around by the arm and kiss her full on.

We break apart after what seems like forever to breathe. "I love you." I tell her. With that, I turn around and go back down the hallway with a new courage that I didn't know I had inside me before. That courage was love.