Drama at Topanga's

Riley's POV:

I take a sip of my chocolate milkshake and watch the door for Lucas and Farkle.

"Howdy," Maya says as Lucas walks in with Farkle following behind. Lucas pretends to tip his invisible cowboy hat and sits down.

"So," Farkle says, "how's it going with you two?"

"Well, we told my parents." I say.

"That's great!" Lucas says. "How did they take it?"

"Fine." Maya says.

No one knows what to say after that, so Farkle orders a hot chocolate and Lucas asks for a smoothie.

We eat our food without saying anything, and the bell rings as someone walks into the shop.

I look up and see Charlie coming in through the door. I try to pretend like I didn't see him but it's too late because he sees me before I can look away.

"Riley!" He says with a smile. "Nice to see you."

"Nice to see you too, Charlie." I say with a fake smile.

"Since you're here, would you mind if we talked?" He points behind his back to the door.

"Um...sure." I say, unsure what to expect. We step outside into the chilly air and take a seat at the outdoor table.

"So what did you need to tell me?" I ask.

"Well, I never really got an answer from you last Friday. You said you were gonna get back to me..."

"Oh, right!" I say, smacking my forehead. "I totally forgot. I was so caught up with all this drama..."

"Drama?" Charlie asks.

"Oh, nothing." I say. "But um, Charlie, I don't know how to really tell you this, but,"

"You don't like me back." He says.

"No, I do like you, but as a friend. The thing is...I'm kind of with someone right now."

"Really? Who?" He asks.

"This is gonna surprise you, but, Maya." I say.

"Maya? I thought you were with Lucas. Well, not after the dance of course, but, Maya? You could have at least told me you were into girls. I would've understood."

"Thanks Charlie, but I just found out. I'm brand new to all of this. I'm still getting used to it. But I'm glad you understand." I say.

"Yeah..." He says.

"What's wrong?" I ask confusedly.

"I just never thought that I would be into a dyke, that's all." He says with a laugh.

I feel a what seems like a knife to my chest. "I'm not a dyke!" I yell. "I'm not even sure if I'm gay or bi, all I know is that I'm in love with Maya and nothing you say is gonna change that!"

"Jeez Riley, I didn't mean it like that, I just-" Charlie starts.

"Just what? Just thought it would be okay to call me an insulting name because I love someone else, not you? Well guess what, Charlie? I didn't even know you existed until the news spread around that Missy cheated on you last year! So you better get over your little middle school crush, because you mean absolutely nothing to me." I say with fury.

Charlie doesn't respond, he only gives me a look of pure hatred before saying in a low voice, "You're going to really regret that." He turns around and walks away into the darkness of the city.

I take a deep breath of cold New York air and exhale slowly, watching the air steam up in front of my face. I slowly turn back to the door and walk inside.

"What just happened out there?" Maya asks right away, standing up.

"He..." I try to say, "He called me a dyke."

Maya's eyes darken and her hands ball up into fists, but Lucas is the one to say something. I hear his voice, dark and low, say, "He did what?"

"Lucas," Maya says in a warning voice, "be careful what you do next."

"You're right." He says. "I'm not gonna go full blown Texas-Lucas, but mark my words He will get what's coming for him."

"You guys, I think what Riley really needs right now is to be alone and think." Farkle says.

"He's right. I just need to go home and rest. We'll talk tomorrow." I say.

"Okay," Maya says, "but at least let me take you home."

I nod and hug Farkle and Lucas goodbye. We walk out into the frigid air but I don't feel cold. I feel numb. I feel like tomorrow may be one of the worst days of my life, but I also feel Maya's fingers lacing through mine, and between us I feel hope. It may be a little bit, but it's enough.