Telling the Parents

Maya's POV:

I follow Riley downstairs to the living room where her parents are talking on the couch.

"Mom, Dad," Riley says, "Maya and I would like to make an announcement."

"Okay sweetie," Topanga says, "what is it?"

"Well," Riley starts. I can tell that she doesn't know how to say what she wants to tell them. She taps me on the shoulder. "How do I say it? It was so much easier with Lucas and Farkle. But this, this? This is my parents!" She whispers to me.

I take her hand. "I've got this." I tell her.

"How do you feel about the LGBTQ community?" I ask Riley's parents.

"I feel like they are all human beings and they deserve all the same rights as everyone else." Topanga says.

"And I feel the same." Cory says.

"Good. Now I need you to tell the absolute truth for this next question. Does the topic of gay or lesbian relationships make you feel uncomfortable?" I ask.

"Well, it isn't a common topic that comes up in my life that often, but when it does, no, not at all." Topanga says while Cory nods, agreeing to her statement.

"Good." I say. "Now, that we have that settled, Riley, would you like to tell them?" I ask, turning to look at Her.

"Mom, Dad?" She asks quietly. "I am...bisexual. Or at least I'm pretty sure I am."

"As am I." I say.

"And we would like you to allow us to be together...because we have more than just friendly feelings for each other." Riley finishes.

"Oh, sweetie," Topanga says as she walks over to Riley, "I love you no matter who you love, and you are the most perfect person I know. Of course you can be with Maya."

"It's more than okay," Corey says, "we want you two to be happy, and if you're happy together, then that's what we want."

"Thank you," I say as I hug him, "it means so much to us."

"But all rules for boyfriends still apply for girlfriends." Topanga adds. "No locked doors, and curfew is at no later than 10:30 on weekends, 8:30 on week nights. Got it?"

"Got it." Riley and I both say.

"Thank you. That's all." Riley says. I follow her back upstairs to the Bay Window.

"When are we gonna go public?" I ask. "No rush."

"How about we get used to this whole dating thing first, and tell everyone else we need to tell, then let all of them get used to us being together, and then we'll go public."

"Sounds like a plan." I smile. "Hey, why don't we meet up at Topangas with Farkle and Lucas, and have a couple of milkshakes? We don't have to be back for like three more hours."

"Sure." Riley says. "Hey mom," Riley yells, we'll be at Topanga's!"

"Okay! 8:30!" She yells back.

"I know!" Riley yells as we climb out the window.

I seems like now that we've told her parents we can take on the world.