Chapter 18 - Fatal Mistake

Start from the beginning

I felt water trickle down my neck.

In an instant, there was water thrown into the air. As I heard the first gunshot of the snipers, the water instantly froze and expanded. From the ground to a foot or two above us, a thick wall was established between our group and the soldiers.

I looked at Aoi for a second and there was an empty water bottle rolling on the ground. She must’ve used the water in the bottle and made it into ice. I smiled at her and quickly turned my gaze at the sound of the gunshots.

From this distance, I could detect the sniper rifles being used.

Two MSR Sniper Rifle. Two AWM. Three SVDs.

I could also detect a FN P90 and a M1911A1 pistol.

The variety of the guns confuses me a bit. How could they gather such guns from different parts of the world?

Right now, what I fear is the lack of flashy Abilities being used by our enemy and the fact that there are two more snipers in high positions from very far away.

The ice was translucent. It was more than two refrigerators thick. Fog light was trying to pass through the ice, but only manages to light up the inside of the ice. I could see the bullets piercing the ice by inches, but only making little to no progress through the wall. Aoi’s ice wasn’t normal, you see. Ice made from abilities aren’t natural ice that you use for your everyday beverages. Her ice is also strong, maybe equivalent to steel in strength. It takes a lot to destroy her ice.

I can remember her making ice for my soft drink, and when it gradually melted, the taste was altered bit by bit, until it was a different drink altogether. But enough of that, we’re in danger here.

Vincent ran up to the ice wall and flattened himself against it.

“So what’s your plan?” he asked. Our BGM was the sound of bullets trying to penetrate the ice.

“I don’t have any yet.” I replied.

I always had a plan. I’m almost like the strategist among the three of us. It’s like playing a real time tactical action game, only here, the protagonists can die and they is a chance they’ll never be revived ever again and, also, I can’t save. If I make a mistake, I might kill my only two comrades here. And if bad comes to worse, I might die myself too.

There is no turning back. The gate is closed and knocking on it doesn’t sound like a good idea. And also, the bullets could reach us. The wall isn’t high enough that it’ll block bullets from that far.

Another explosion, but this was very near. I looked at the direction where the light from the explosion came from. It was from the building where the guards were standing, along with the fog lights.

The direction of the gunshots changed. The bullets that were trying to go through the ice wall stopped. A new distinct gunfire was in the area. It was a Scorpion submachine gun and an Uzi, judging by the rate of fire and, of course, using this woman’s intuition in me. Also, I could detect a Mirror Shield.

“Enprix!”

I recognize this voice. This voice was from the arena at the Academy. Without a doubt, I’m sure it’s him.

“What the fuck are you doing, standing there?! Can’t take the heat?! Help me out here, HAHAHAHA!”

No doubt about it.

The trigger happy attitude.

Me, detecting multiple weapons from him.

And that semi-high pitched crazy laugh.