Chapter Six

I laughed meekly, bringing my arm around to scratch the back of my head nervously. "Nope, nothing I can think of." He raised an eyebrow at me and folded his arms challengingly, virtually daring me to keep up the idiot act and I felt my heart flutter at his contracting muscles as well as other parts of me.

I whimpered when he dropped his defensive stance and instead began walking closer to me, bursting my personal space bubble which caused me to back away instantly.  We continued this game of cat and mouse until he had my back pressed against the wall with nowhere to run, much like earlier today in the locker room except there was no Sky to come save my day.

My eyes bore into his, confused as I saw his soften for some reason while he brought his hand up to cup my face with a gentleness that seemed unfathomable to be coming from him. Unconsciously, I flinched away and cursed when I saw how badly that affected him, he looked like a wounded puppy.

“Why are you so scared of me?”

Once again I was perplexed, did he not know he could be pretty intimidating if he tried to? As if reading my thoughts, he went on, “I don’t mean when I act coldly towards you, I mean when I try to get close you you or try touch you, your body always seemed to get as far away from me as much as possible.”

Understanding dawned upon me as I realised what on earth he was on about, and it was sad to say that he was actually speaking the honest truth. But wasn’t my fault not really, in fact it wasn’t at all my fault but more of my hearts, you can’t choose who your heart should want.

“I want you to tell me, truthfully, what made you like this, or even who.”

 I stared at him with my eyes wide in fair, that wasn’t possible. I could never tell him what had happened to me, especially not why. If I wanted to move on I would have to bury my past demons, not reopen those wounds from then. Yet as I stared into his eyes I could not refuse him.

I swallowed thickly, feeling as if the room had suddenly gotten a lot stuffier and I was choking on the air, trying to breathe. I licked my dry lips, his eyes following the small movement lustfully before I spoke. “You may want to sit down, it’s a long story.”

“Hold on,” I paused with my mouth half open to speak. “While you’re speaking, can you show me your wings? I’ve seen angel’s wings before....” I smiled, grateful for the delay and also at his childlike naivety, the way he looked and asked me right then seemed so cutely innocent.

 Wordlessly, I nodded and began to strip my upper half of my body, not missing the way his eyes roamed appreciatively while my own body responded.  He moved to look at my back, wincing as he saw up front and clearly the damage done to my back. He looked at me for permission before lightly tracing one of the old scars I had recieved; it was from a whip I think, black leather.

When he was done exploring, I let my wings out with brief hesitation and watched the stunned awe from him appear. He seemed so innocent staring up at my wings as if they were the seventh wonders of the world, untouchable, yet pure.

I waited patiently as he ragged his gaze down them, until he reached the blackened end where my feathers looked like they had been dipped in black ink. He frowned at me quizzically.

“I guess it’s time to talk.”