Going Home With Her

Jack's eyes drifted over the crowded room. Fierce longing gripped him, but the odds of finding what he needed here seemed lower than ever.

A couple entered the room, and Jack assessed them. Man in a suit, girl in jeans. Boom. As the girl turned, her eyes locked with Jack's, and he felt it. Home. In the depths of her gentle eyes, he was found. I'm meant to go home with her. But girls like her don't choose ugly freaks like me.

As Jack watched, the man poked the girl savagely in her side. "Hey, dummy – stop staring," he said loudly.

"Chad, I'm not, I promise." Her head dropped, her hair shielding her face.

"Whatever. If you get any stupid ideas in that empty head of yours, I'm done with you."

"Chad, please..."

Defensiveness rose within Jack. Whether or not he went home with the girl, she deserved better than a man like that. Sometimes family don't love you the way they should, Jack reflected sadly.

His own family threw him out when he was young; he'd been homeless on the streets ever since. Trapped in his dangerous life, he should have died a hundred times – odds were good he'd die alone.

And chances were, the beautiful girl would go home with the harsh man and be miserable. Because the world is full of sad odds, and they almost never work out in your favour.

Still, Jack tried again, willing the girl to really see him. As their gazes connected, Jack felt the universe shift slightly, as if an ounce of luck was finally rolling in his direction.

Suddenly, the girl turned to her boyfriend. "Chad, you can go. Goodbye."

"Whatever. I'll call you."

"Actually, don't." Her eyes narrowed. "Just so we're clear, when I said goodbye, I meant for good."

Jack watched in amusement as Chad's jaw dropped. He seemed poised to argue, but the girl's steely look of determination caused his shoulders to drop. Chad sulked out, and inwardly Jack grinned, glad to see him gone. Alone at last.

Cautiously, the girl approached him. "Hi, there. I'm Flo." She knelt to his level, never once breaking eye-contact. "You have gorgeous eyes. They're the most amazing shade of brown I've ever seen."

Jack stepped towards her, and without another word, Flo embraced him. Jack sighed deeply. I'm home.

Flo picked him up in her arms, and carried his furry body over to the adoption desk of the dog shelter. The lady behind the counter smiled at them and exclaimed, "Jack! You lucky boy – have you found yourself a new home?"

Flo scratched his ears, and Jack leaned into her touch. "Yes. I'd like to adopt him please."

"That must be the luckiest dog in the world: he's supposed to be put down tomorrow - nobody here believed anyone would adopt a stray so ugly."

Flo hugged him again. "To me, he's perfect."

Jack rode away in Flo's car, tail wagging, eyes bright. Against all odds, he was going home.