90 days to live - Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

“Lara hush” Iron soothes. “It’s going to be alright”

“No it’s not, they’re going to kill him” I scream still violently flaying my arms in every which direction. I kick at the note and it slides under my covers; hidden like the monster beneath my bed. Iron’s arms lock around my waist and begin to drag me out of my room. His warm bare skin makes me feel disgusted as they press against mine.

“Get off me” I shriek. Iron curses under his breath as I leave a trail of sharp crab pinches along his forearms. My tears blur and I feel myself begin to haze. I leave my body to go limp in Iron’s arms, trying my hardest to prevent him from moving me. Instead I’m lugged along like a sack of potatoes.

I won’t answer their questions, if I talk them they’ll see I’m not ready. They’ll see I’m not okay. I try and relax and let the darkness take over but for once it doesn’t. I let the image of Jared from the hologram enrapture my mind. I wait a few seconds but still my senses feel nothing. It’s as if my body knows I’m trying to haze and it rejects it.

“Iron what happened?” Ally cries frantically. My blurred eyes clear to see her running towards me. Iron’s arms suddenly release me and I grip to him in the idea that I will fall. My fingers scrabble but miss his shirt. I await the greeting of the harsh wooden floor and its splintered tongue yet instead I’m met by the comfort of the lime couch.

Ally and Iron both crouch down in front of the sofa, their pitiful looks mirror each other.

“Lara what happened?” Iron asks, his throaty voice is husky from sleep. His red lips are swollen and when I speculate Ally, I see her’s are the same.

“Nothing” I reply, my voice wobbles. “I’m nervous”

“What about?” Ally asks.

“My weakness test” I lie.

Ally and Iron both glance at each other before each clutching one of my hands. It’s almost as if they’re programmed to do it. They’re so synchronised, so perfect. I scowl.

“Is that all?” Iron probes. I nod my head slowly. I don’t trust myself to convince them.

Ally places a chaste kiss on Iron’s cheek and rises. Iron’s grin spreads across his cheeks and I roll my eyes. He grabs Ally’s waist and pulls her back down onto his lap where she begins giggling like an imbecile.

“Yes I’m fine” I reply in a strained voice.

“Do you want some coffee Lara?” Ally enquires cheerily.

“No” I grumble, wiping the remaining few droplets from my cheeks. “I should probably get ready now, I don’t want to be late”

Ally nods in understanding as I sigh and climb off the couch. I check my bleeping wristlet and switch off the pulsating rhythm. My trial starts in half an hour. I don’t really have to leave for another 25 minutes but I’ll do anything to get out of here sooner.

“When does your trial begin?” Iron asks from behind me. I turn to see him placing a kiss on the top of Ally’s blond head. I sigh heavily and grip onto the doorframe of the opening to my room.

“I’m not sure” I answer between gritted teeth as Ally places a lingering kiss on Iron’s lips. I growl angrily and storm into my room.  I can hear the giggles just before I slam my door shut. I march to my closet and tear my jumpsuit off its hanger. Beside it are 6 other identical suits; one for each day of the week.

They forget sometimes, they all forget occasionally that I’ve lost my bond mate. I can’t deal with their open show of happiness. It’s not Ally and Iron’s fault; they can’t help being oblivious to the issues before them.