Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Where are your guardians?" Abigail asks.

"They'll be here soon," Molly says.

"They left you alone?"

"Yeah." Molly stares at her blankly. "I'm seventeen."

"I know that, I just mean that you only got released from hospital yesterday. They shouldn't be leaving you alone in the house so soon into your recovery." She shakes her head and writes something down.

"Well you want to send me to New York tomorrow, so. . ."

Abigail smiles. "Have you packed?"

"No, not yet."

"Jay and Michelle can't wait to meet you," she says as she walks over to the doorway to the kitchen and peeks inside. "They're going to meet you at the airport. It'll be very late over there so you might have to bear with them if they seem a little groggy."

"I thought it was the city that never sleeps," Molly mumbles.

Abigail laughs hysterically. "I like that. You're funny. I know that this is going to be a hard transition but you'll soon get settled in New York just as quickly as you got settled here."

"You think I settled here quickly?"

"Well, you know what I mean." Abigail takes a seat and wriggles her bottom. She places the clipboard on her lap and observes the carpet. "I am sorry that this is happening and at such a delicate time, but it will get better, Molly. You're going to have lots of fun in New York. There's tons of fun things to do."

"Don't talk to me like I'm a child," Molly says resentfully. "I'm not a ten-year-old that wants to go on rides. You're taking me away from everyone that I care about. No one ever wanted me like Pam and Daniel want me. Do you have any idea what it feels like to be wanted? How special it is? How rare for people like me?"

"Michelle and Jay want you," she says. "If you just give them a chance then maybe you'll be surprised."

Molly rolls her eyes. "You're not listening to me."

"I'm just trying to make it better for you because tomorrow is happening. There's nothing you can say or do to change it."

"Why does it have to be tomorrow?" Molly demands as her voice begins to break. "Why not next Saturday or next month?"

"As I said on Wednesday, your life could be in danger. We're just acting upon advice given to us."

"Advice," Molly says. "Not orders. Is it the funding? Can you not afford to keep me here anymore?"

Abigail goes quiet and looks at her fingers. "This has nothing to do with money or what the state pays your foster parents. This is about finding you somewhere more suitable with better mental health care and where you have a better chance to live your life."

"And less expensive mental health care," Molly mutters. "Because you pay them extra for that don't you? For the therapy? I'm sorry that my life is such a wreck that I need treatment, okay? I'm sorry that I have no family to pay for those expenses and I'm sorry that me wanting to end my life was an inconvenience to your funds but don't tell me that I'll have a better chance of happiness there because that's bullshit."

Abigail opens her mouth to speak but then closes it. She's saved by the door which opens just in time for her to shake off the awkwardness. Molly folds her arms and turns away as Pam and Daniel enter the house.

"Hey, sorry we're late," Pam says as she enters. "Traffic was horrible."

"No problem," Abigail says. "Molly and I were just discussing tomorrow. Everything's still on schedule."