Chapter Twenty-Eight

It's past nine when Charlie arrives home. He's been driving around the city aimlessly for hours and then he parked up on a hill to consider his slim options. He sat for a while underneath the dark sky and time had slipped by quickly. He stands near the front door, taking a deep breath as he hears his mother making noise in the kitchen. He approaches cautiously, wondering how to even begin. His mother stands with her back to him as she roots through a high cupboard, she tries to reach for something and Charlie leans over her head and grabs it. He passes her the bottle of champagne and she doesn't smile.

"You missed dinner," she says. "Your plate is over there, just don't make a mess in the microwave."

Charlie looks at the plate wrapped in foil on the counter and food is the last thing on his mind. He watches as she unscrews the lid and pours herself a big glass.

"Did you win?"

"There are no winners, Charlie," she whispers, before smiling proudly to herself. "But, yeah. I did."

"That'll make your. . . sixty-fifth win?" Charlie backs up to a chair and takes a seat. "Congratulations. Is Jaz in bed?"

"She's doing homework. Thanks for taking her to school again. I'm glad that trial is over."

"Does that mean you have free time? Free lawyer time, I mean."

She folds her arms and moves forwards as she glares at him. "What have you done? What do I have to defend you for now?"

"It's not me," Charlie says. "I have a friend and she's in trouble, she-"

"Let me stop you right there. No." She grabs the bottle of champagne with a glass and heads into the lounge.

"Mum, wait," Charlie says as he follows her. "It's not what you think."

"Let me guess, your friend is currently in jail and her parents can't afford a lawyer that's willing to go through enough paperwork to get her out. Well, I know it's not Aubrey."

"This is serious," Charlie says as he sits opposite her. She turns the television on and puts her feet up onto the coffee table.

"Charlie, it's my time off, let me have some peace, okay? I've had an exhausting few days, I've hardly slept and I've got tons of shows to catch up on."

"I need to tell you something," Charlie says. "It's important."

"Is it about your accident?"

Charlie nods. She mutes the television and finally gives him eye contact. "I'm listening," she says.

Charlie decides to tell her everything, it's the only way she'll agree to help. He tells her about the fight with Aubrey and why he was on the bridge so late and when he finally gets to the part about Molly he starts to feel dizzy. Reliving it isn't easy but Molly has been doing it for the last five days and she's stronger for it. He tells her about the hospital visits, Molly's past, and how much better she is. He explains that the appeal got rejected and that Molly is being relocated on Saturday and then he reveals the big plan, the plan that Molly's foster mother had discussed with him earlier in the kitchen. Jaz must have told Daisy who his mother is because Pam had almost begged him for her help. When he's finished she doesn't say a word for several minutes. Charlie can't tell if she's angry or thinking it over, but she's interested.

"Say something," Charlie says.

"I can't believe you didn't tell me." She rubs her head and clenches her jaw. "You risked your life to save this girl, that was incredibly stupid. But. . . I raised you to be brave and to help people. I can't be mad at you for that."