Chapter 7

Nick's point of view

As I sorted through the equipment in the sports room, I found some of my old weapons. I strapped them on to my weapon belt. Today I was going outside. Mum can't stop me anymore. I'm a bit angry that she left all her children behind to fend for themselves. I changed into my favourite black turtleneck and black combat style trousers. I strapped the belt around my waist and considered a beanie hat.

'No' I thought. I'm not going to be ashamed of my new hair. 'Nick the nuclear ninja' was my last thought before I climbed out the window in Mel's room. Mel would often go onto the roof for a breath of fresh air but on the rare occasion that I did it, it was to run. I would run along the roof tops feeling the wind in my hair. After what seemed like a few miles I slowed down. I was instantly more alert. A few metres ahead I noticed a dart board tied to a chimney. The owner probably didn't know I put that there but if he did he must of left it out for me.

I crouched down. Normally I would use darts but today was different. I could feel it in my bones. I took out a throwing star, a 'Shurikan'. This was a dangerous weapon. It could kill and maim. I threw it with absolute precision. I practised at home for years. Bulls-eye! I took out three more. I threw them too. They also hit target, sinking into the foam and soft wood. I felt sorry for the first man to stand against me.

After throwing a few more I checked my watch. In half an hour Kat would be home. I walked up the dart board and prised the shurikan out of it. They were really hard to get out. I swiftly walked back and then got into a run. It seemed like I was home in a matter of minutes. I slipped into the flat and dropped all my stuff into my room. I could hear Mel making a sandwich in the kitchen. Now was my chance to find out why shes been in her lab so much. I stealthily sneaked downstairs. I was at the door to the basement. I took a deep breath and opened it. I crept down the stairs. Once in the lab I turned on the lights. I almost screamed in the middle of the room was Alexis, one of Mel's friends, tied to chair. She had cuts and bruises all over her face. She gave me this pathetic look and started nodding toward a table. I walked toward the table and noticed a journal. I grabbed it and shoved it up my shirt. I couldn't risk Mel catching me. I quickly wiped some of the blood off Alexis' face before dashing upstairs.

In the safety of my room I opened the journal. I quickly scanned the contents. Mel had been trying to find a way to preserve the dead and keep them alive. A way to make zombies. Mel was trying to make zombies using a chemical called, I squinted, Formaldehyde.

My big sister was a monster. I looked at my watch. Kat was late. I needed to tell her about this. I was pretty scared for a tough ninja. I heard someone running up the stairs. What was happening? Was Kat home and I didn't hear?

Suddenly Mel burst into my room and immediately spotted her journal in my hands. She rushed forward and grabbed it. She raised like she was going to beat me senseless with it. I only had one card to play.

I forced the tears out. Mel immediately dropped the journal and hugged me.

"there, there" She comforted me. I knew she hated comforting anyone. I just made myself sob harder.

"How could you do that to Alexis?" I asked with a shaky voice. "She's your friend."

"It's for science." said Mel as if that explained everything. While Mel patted me on the back I kicked the journal under the closest exercise machine. Mel leaned away from me.

"You better not tell Kat about this. She won't understand, Nick." I nodded dumbly. Mel left my room forgetting all about the journal.

I lay down on my mattress and fell asleep. Acting is tough work. When I woke up Kat was standing above me. I sat cross legged and Kat sat down next to me. We often would sit like this for a couple of minutes in silence. I didn't want to upset Kat but I had to tell her. I got up and walked over to the journal. I picked it up and turned around. Kat looked very confused. I threw the journal at her and it smacked her in face.

"OWW!" She complained loudly. I put a finger to my lips telling her to be quiet. She picked up the journal and flicked through. Her eyes widened. She hadn't even heard about Alexis yet. She stood up and walked over to me. A whispered conversation began.

"She has Alexis. She carries out experiments on her." Kat's jaw dropped.

"How do you know this?"

"I saw her." I quickly explained how Mel tried to keep me quiet. A smile crept on Kat's face.

"Mel is good at manipulating but no one can keep little Nick quiet."

'Little?!? I was taller that her for goodness sake!'

"Com'on" Kat was walking out the door. "We need to have a little chat with Mel."