Chapter 36

"Where is Lucas, by the way?" I asked and some part of me wanted to interfere with their current affairs. I wanted to meddle!
Vanessa looked at me differently, as if she understood my inner feeling that I was saying. "Lucas?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, aren't you two always together?" I asked, and I was smiling again.

She blushed. "Well, lately, yes."

"Where is he?" I repeated in case she had oblivion because of her thinking about her 'secret' crush.

"He's out there waiting for me near the park," she grinned as a sign of giggling.

I beamed at the idea. This will be a date.

"He's actually texting me right now," she took her cellphone out of her back pocket, then stared at it. "There's no signal here," she muttered under her breath.

"Sometimes, there is. Depending on your location. But, how come there's no signal here?" Abel said, but his eyes were on the sky. I couldn't believe Abel knows about these human things. Signal. . . Location.

"We're near the road," I murmured.

"Oh, here comes one," Vanessa said right after I spoke.

I was beside her, and so I used the free time to read the message that came from Lucas. It sent her the exact location where he was and it said Luke was already there, waiting for her. Vanessa looked away from her phone, and glanced at me and Abel. "Uh. . . Ca-" she cleared her throat. "Can you guys go with me there? I don't know the way," her voice was shaky.

I nodded.

When the three of us walked out of the forest, Vanessa recognized the car parked.

"Is this your car?" She pointed at it.

I didn't speak, but just gave a nod.

"You know how to drive, Vanessa?" Abel asked as he opened the car door to go in.

"I don't. My family has you know. . . a hired driver." It was obvious in her voice that she was uncomfortable saying that. I was the one who drove again, but it was such a surprise that I drove on normal speed on the wide road. I had anticipated that they would notice it.

"You drive dully," Vanessa stated the obvious.

"I do the opposite today," I responded. And I don't even know why.

"Just today?" Abel said.

"Just today," I repeated very slowly.

"I wonder why," Vanessa rolled her eyes.

I looked at them in the rear view mirror, then immediately pushed the gas button so hardly that they even heard and felt the impact. That included me. The two of them clung to the top of the seats—the nearest thing they could reach. I guffawed as I did. The speed was rising.

"Don't worry," the evil laughter was still in my voice, so I stopped for a moment. "I guarantee you, there are no cops here that'll arrest us."

"How sure are you, huh?" Vanessa's hands were still on those seats, and she was catching her breath.

"Quite not," I smiled evilly as I removed my gaze from the mirror.

"Then for god's sake, slow down!" Vanessa yelled, she was serious, really.

I slowed down, but only a little. Lowered the speed to twenty. "Anyway," she and Abel sighed with relief as they rested their hands on their ankles. "What's the name of your world again?"

I  responded, and it was immediate that Vanessa scarcely finished her statement. "Grezsatly," I answered.

"Does the path of Grezsatly start at that forest?"

"Why'd you ask? Are you going to go there!? But yes, it does."

"Maybe, if I have time. Since that's my new home now."

"You're gonna leave your family?" I asked and it made me worried as if I was Vanessa and she was Selene.

"It depends," she said that probably ended the conversation.

I tried to avoid that. "In the human's world, you call me Clarissa. But in Grezsatly, I am Selene. Originally."

"I don't see any sense there, Clarisse."

"My dad. . . He made up names for me and Tate—I mean, Alex—to protect us. For what I understand, our names our kind of strange to pronounce for humans. And for that, probably they would you know. . . Feel suspicion and curiosity. Do you now get it?" The car remained unstopped. We were the only car traveling the road.

"Oh. Okay."

We were at the park. Vanessa opened the window down and went to look for Lucas. But she did not go outside. She said her effort would be wasted if she did. Abel also helped by looking at the other side. We stopped and parked in front of a coffee shop where Lucas should have be.

"Wait for me here, I'll go look for him first," she finally said as she opened the door.

"Aren't you going to give us the freedom now?" I asked. She was just a passenger, and as soon as she was done with us, we would leave. We had other affairs to do other than this.

"No," she shook her head. "If he's not there, I'll come with you," she said quickly, then went out.

"I almost don't like her," Abel said in his low voice as he watched Vanessa go to the shop.

"She's not what you think she is. It's just sometimes she's like tha-"

Abel did not let me finish talking. "Why is she even like that? And why is she 'sometimes' like that?" He impatiently asked.

"I don't know. Maybe stress? Ever since I met her, she's starting to worry about things too much."

They saw that Vanessa went out of the cafe quickly, with her face slightly red and her eyebrows wrinkled. She rode the car. "What happened?" I asked, her eyes in the rear view mirror, looking at her reflection.

"He's not there," she folded her arms.

"Maybe he's late or something," Abel told her.

"He said he's already there!" Her eyebrows already met.

"Maybe he went somewhere. He's gonna come back, Vanessa. I know Luke very well," I assured her.

". . .give him a chance." Maybe Abel was talking at the same time I did. Those were the only words I made out.

"Then let's go and wait for him there," she convincingly said, opening the car door once again.

"Out there?" Abel asked with both eyebrows raised. I glared to shut him up, then gestured at the door.

We decided to wait just beside the shop, not inside but outside, for us to easily see him.

Vanessa's arms were crossed, her face calmed down but her eyebrows still meeting. It wasn't enough, still. So we all surrounded the whole shop—with me standing at the right side of it, Vanessa on the other side, and Abel behind.

I was thinking of the possibilities why Lucas wasn't there. Maybe he was really late, and just told Vanessa instead that he was there for her not to be worried and impatient. But I was really feeling something fishy around. Since I knew Lucas well, and because of our long time friendship, I predicted some kind of surprise from him. My head was straight, watching as the different people walk, their actions, their motion, and everything they do. My evil mind was even hoping for some kind of incident that was thrilling to watch, maybe a fight or a gang rumble.