Mary Had A Little Lamb

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, but I decided to just come and help you."

"Oh, great! I was wondering if you could fill these buckets with ice."

She walked away and came back with three hotel buckets. I took them, placing my phone in my back pocket.

"You need someone to go with you?"

"...I-I-I'll g-g-gooo w-w-wi-wit-with y-y-yo-you..."

"Great! You know where the ice machine is, right?"

"Mhmm hmm..." I nodded, as Mariah took one of the buckets. I took one of the extra room keys and slipped it in my pocket as well. We walked in silence, with Mariah trailing behind on her phone. It was weird, cause usually she's always up under me, or more aware of her surroundings, but now she's so busy on her phone. I guess that's a good thing; she's being a normal teenager, but so fast...

We entered the small ice machine room, that also had a vending machine. I held the glass door as Mariah walked in, with me behind her. I set the two buckets down and started filling the first one.

"So why are you so quiet?"

She just shrugged, occasionally popping her gum. I sighed and went back what I was doing. There was an uncomfortable vibe making me shifty. I wanted to peer over my shoulder every now and then, by why should I? It's only Mariah and I in the room. Anyway, I moved onto the second bucket, when I felt the movement of my phone leaving my back pocket. I abruptly turned around, seeing Mariah on my phone. I don't how that's possible, because I never once gave her my password.

"Mariah....my phone. Now."

"....I-I-I'm l-lo-loo-look-iinng a-a-at i-it..."

"Mariah, I'm serious give me my phone." By now I was too tired to yell, just annoyed beyond words. I was already losing sleep and now this child has my phone.

"...W-wh-who i-i-iss...A-An-Annge-"

"Angela, from my job. Now be a good girl, and hand me back my phone." I tried to approach her, but she only backed away. That method wasn't really gonna work, seeing as how this was a very small space.

"D-d-do y-y-yo-you l-li-li-like h-he-her....?"

I thought over my answer before speaking.

"I think she's pretty."

"W-wh-why...?"

"Why...? I don't know, she has a pretty smile. She's sweet, I don't know..." I felt uncomfortable explaining this to her. She's only fifteen anyway, why does she care?

"....Y-yo-yooo-you sh-sh-sho-should d-da-da-date h-he-her...."

She looked through my phone and I was becoming nervous, but confused. Why is she scrolling through my phone? Why does she care what Angela is to me? Why is she becoming so concerned with what I do? This is just too weird right now.

"Mariah, can I please have my phone back?"

"O-O-On-Only i-i-if y-yo-you k-k-ki-kiss m-m-me f-f-fir-fir-first...." She tucked my phone behind me, as she stood on her toes with a wide grin on her face. I was speechless, as she inched closer to me. I never thought to ever actually touch Mariah in that way, one because she's not my daughter and two, she was always such a Debbie-downer, I thought she'd be upset. But now it's like she's gone through a complete transformation in only a month. Is that a good or bad thing?

"You want what?"

"A k-k-ki-kisss...."

She laughed as she grabbed my arms and pulled me to her lips. I was disturbed and roughly pushed her away from me. My eyebrows, which were first raised, narrowed after wiping my mouth of her taste. That was completely unexpected, and I questioned myself for not drawing away before she grabbed me.