The Prince and The Pauper

*Same Day*

The drive to Mr. Perez's house was a long one. The sun was now set, so it was dark and the only lighting came from the street lights and the headlights. The radio played lowly, playing an older song I'm guessing was before my time. I looked Mr. Perez's way and saw him humming and nodding his head to the beat. His curls bounced against his black leather jacket, which was decorated with spikes on the shoulders. I returned my attention to the road, feeling lonely. I wish I had a friend to complain to, about how my grandparents just decided to drop a bomb on me, when what happened wasn't even my fault. I never intended for Clarence to drag me into the woods, and I never intended to get into that fight with that stupid girl, Maya. She made fun of my hair on Tuesday, so I punched her dead in her face.

That'll teach that heifer to talk about my curly hair. Fucking bitch...

"We're here."

I looked up, and saw we were in the city. That's where my school was, but my grandparents had us living in the outskirts of NY.

Anyway, the brownstone was huge. The outside was beautiful, embodied with shrubbery and tall trees. I wonder how the inside looks.

"I'll get your bags, then I can help you unpack."

He got out the car, and I followed. It was late and all that could be heard, were the honks and beeps of cars. It was busy in New York, on this cool early spring night.

"Coming?"

I took one last look at my new neighborhood, and inhaled. It's crazy how my life has started to change in only a matter of a few hours. When I walked in the door, my breath was taken away, literally. I was gasping for air, so I had to reach for my inhaler. I took a quick breath in, seeing I had only fifty clicks left, before I would need a refill.

The foyer was pleasantly decorated with earth tones. The dark ebony wood tables were strategically placed, with vases of different colored roses. There was a rug that ran from the front door, to the very back of the brownstone. There was a closet full of furs and different coats. Next to the foyer, led two different rooms; a living space and the kitchen, which were connected. But before getting to them, was a wide winding staircase.

"Welcome, to my humble aboad."

This, is humble?

"It looks clean now, because I...I got my maid to help clean up a bit. She left for home now, but she'll be by tomorrow. Her name's Marcelena, she's from Brasil. She can speak modest english."

He informed me, that he was only richer than I could ever imagine.

"I should probably show you where you'll be sleeping."

He brushed by me, heading up the steps. Part of me wanted to follow, the other part wanted to make a run for the door.

I don't like him.

Why? You haven't even given-

Don't ask why, just know that I will never like this man. No matter how much he tries to shower you with gifts. Just be careful with him, no one knows his true intentions.

I took heed to my friend's words and crept up the stairs. Mr. Perez's lean, healthy frame lead us down a long hallway, to a door. It was massive. He turned the knob, pushed open the door to a spacious room with a big bed and lightly colored walls. The curtains were striped, baby blue and brown. The carpet was shaggy blue and there were naked cream walls. It seemed more like a guest room, than a girl's room.

But it was still beautiful.

"So, do you like it? No one's ever used this room, you'll be the first. I-I spent a c-couple days decorating it myself, I really wanted you to like it."