Lunch With A Military Dog

"What's a state alchemists?" Mirea asked bluntly over their meal in a plain restaurant.

Edward chocked on his tea, if that was even possible, and Alphonse handed him a napkin.

" you've never heard of a state alchemist before?"

"No"

"What about an alchemist?"

"Never heard of it"

"A military dog?"

"Sounds familiar...?"

"Then what about Alchemy?"

"..?"

"What about a fraud priest who does voodoo magic?"

"Does that even...?"

"I know but never have I met a person who doesn't know Alchemy. Only people who live in a desert doesn't! And you don't belong there do you?"

"No"

" So, if you're not from some town in a middle of a desert, where are you from, really?"

"I don't know" Mirea answered."not sure..."

"What-?" He exclaimed, unable to keep back a movement of utter disbelief.

"That's what I've been telling you, brother. Since she woke up on the hospital bed, she doesn't remember anything apart from her name." Alphonse said. Seems Alphonse has told him of her.

A confused look still attached to his face. He sat back, remembering his intro earlier was all for nothing to this girl whose never even heard of an alchemist.

"So then tell me" She said. Her eyes sparkled in interest. Edward stared at her with his eyebrows slightly furrowed together. Nonetheless, he leaned forward and placed his hands under his chin.

"Alright" He said "alchemists are one of those many people capable of studying and practicing alchemy.
But not anyone can become competent alchemists, because performing alchemy requires one's ability to manipulate matter and energy.

alchemists are productive members of society and most give themselves to serve the people.

Whereas a State Alchemist is an alchemist employed by the Amestrian State Military.

Their skills are used as an extension of the government's power as opposed to means toward individual or popular gain."

"Its the downside on being a State Alchemist " Alphonse added.

" 'Dogs of the Military', are names gives for those who have turned their backs on the people. In which case, for us who have abandoned the concept of Thou for the people for our personal gains and in exchange of government influence."

"But heck like I care what they call me. Nothing's gonna stop me from getting what I want."

"Brother... even thou you're a state alchemists, you're not that kind of person" Alphonse assured him. Edward's lips twitched as a gesture that he was not all against it.

"Owh... a military officer then. Do you mean some parts of the country, the people doesn't welcome you?"

The brothers looked at each other and Edward corrected her,

"most parts."

"Only some due to their religious beliefs" he said, now leaning back on his arm chair "but most because of the reigning war"

"War?" Mirea exclaimed " what war?"
They shushed her as the nearby tenants of the restaurant are all looking over their shoulders to cast a look at them.

"Where have you been for the last decade?" Edward angrily whisper.

"She might've hit her head too hard" Alphonse commented.

" Well im suprise its not shattered. Were you born yesterday Or are you a really good actress ?"

"Im telling you guys i dont know." Edward glared suspiciously at her and she swear if she could see through Alphonse's helmet, he might be eyeing her suspiciously too.

Edward leaned towards Alphonse. "she might be a foreigner and came here without a passport"

" I don't know, brother. She looks like she's from around here. "

" Don't easily get deceived! Maybe thats what she wants you to think. Lets hand her out to the military so they can send her back or make her a slave"

"HEY, I can hear you!" Mirea warned them.

"We have...I mean, Amestris has been in war for decades.

But ever since King Bradley was elected Führer, the military has been the country's primary focus, conflicts near the borders are endless. The people of the province are dying everyday.How is it a better country when more lives are taken then it is saved. Its sickening

Its not a pretty world. But people are trying to get by by doing the best they can. There are people out there, risking there lives to change things, and theres also people who put their lives on the line to defend the system.

Nonetheless, things WILL change. For the better."

He took a sip of his tea. Quietly, his gaze fell and his expression changed to a slight gloom. Alphonse was also quiet. Do they had their share of the war?

" We are not involved in the war yet, i hope we won't. " Said Alphonse, as if hearing her thoughts "Because things are already gruesome without it"

Edward and Alphonse might be involved in the military, but they are still human. No human wants war in their homeland.

Still, to be involved in the military at such a young age, what is it for these boys? If it were to gain something, just as they speak then what is it worth being a State Alchemist? Does being a State Alchemist means they have to be on guard at all times? Like how Alphonse is always wearing armor.

Over the course of just one meal, so many question pops up in Mirea's mind regarding these two brothers when none of the question about herself has been answered yet. The town was lovely, there's always people on the streets. But in reality, the town is on an economic downhill since tourist stop coming in thus losing potential ... resulting in a standstill of cash flow. It must be the cause of war.  Her eyes fell on a leather suitcase beside Edward's seat. Only one bag for two? They travel very light.

"You're not staying in Aquroya long I see. Where are you going after this?"

" I go where I want to go, after I'm done with the police and that damned thief"

" Take me with you" Mirea said

"Huh?" - Edward and Alphonse exclaim in unison.

Mirea was curious to know more about this two, more that she had forgotten about herself. Even if she'll never know the answer to her last question, at least there's something to know.

"Take me with you. At least till we reach Central."

"why Central? Moreover, why follow us?"

" I heard you guys were heading to Central"

With that, Edward turned his shoulder towards his now anxious younger brother.

" I'm not the only end to where you splatter it seems"

Alphonse made a cute giggle "umm, I don't think it'll be a bad idea really... I'd be fun the more we have right?"

Edward growled" Well, I don't know if it'll be the same with my leather flapper."

"please." She plead " it... It rings a bell when the first time I heard it."

"Of course it does! It's the capital city of Amestris!"

"I'll do anything! Or I'll pay you back somehow later... I know im asking too much after you guys saved my life, im thankful for that but i promise you this is the last time i need you."

"C'mon brother, It'll be alright. I got a feeling it'll be fun."

He thought for a moment and finally he gave in. "Alright, but its not gonna be for nothing. "