"I'm afraid we don't have a choice, lass."

You nodded and scanned the trees with your mind. The only animals you could find had angry, jumbled minds that you quickly pulled back from. You didn't like this at all. 

You fell back into your place in the middle of the company not noticing the looks being sent your way. You hadn't been yourself since the attack by the wolves and no one had been able to figure out why. You were quiet and reserved where before you brought joy and laughter to the company. Something they desperately needed in their weary days. Now, they worried for you.

The further the company went into the forest, the angrier they became and the more agitated you were. Dozens of angry little minds pushed against yours. As they worked themselves into a frenzy, you took a deep breath and dove into one of them. You gasped and rocked on your feet, grasping at the arm closest to you without knowing whose it was. 

Spiders. Dozens upon Dozens of them. And they were looking right at the company.

"Fight or flee, they are coming," you managed to say before getting lost in the mind of the beast you were in. It wanted blood. It wanted death. And you were determined not to let it have either. 

***

(Dwalin's POV) 

Y/N hadn't looked well since they entered these cursed woods. He'd dropped back to where he could keep an eye on you. Fear sliced through him when you grasped onto his arm. You looked terrified and seemed not to hear him when he called your name. 

You uttered your warning and the company readied themselves for battle. He stayed by your side as you drew neither sword or bow. In fact, though your eyes darted around continuously he had a feeling you were seeing something somewhere else entirely. 

Then spiders the size of battle rams dropped from the trees. The company immediately began to fight. Dwalin dispatched a spider with his axe and looked over to check on y/n. His heart stopped in his chest as he saw the large creature that was about to bite you, while you stood there looking on.

Before he could even react another spider dropped from the tree to land in front of you and start fighting the other spider. What was going on? His attention was drawn back to the battle before him as more and more of the creatures came from the trees. Just as he was certain they were going to be overran completely, arrows flew from the woods and into the spiders. 

As the beast he was fighting fell, he turned to find you once more. Relief flooded through him to see you still standing, one of the spiders standing beside you as if to protect you almost. Dwalin stepped forward to take it out. You and the spider both turned your heads to look at him and a sliver of fear crawled up his spine. 

"It's fine, Dwalin. It won't hurt me. Help the others." The spider seemed to make sounds in unison with your voice causing him to frown and shiver. The elves that had fired the arrows stepped from the trees as the last of the spiders fell. 

One last arrow flew through the air, piercing the eye of the one standing next to you. 

***

You hissed and dropped your head as the spider fell. You'd still been in its head when the arrow hit and pain flared through you. You could feel the blood running from your nose and swiped it away. There hadn't been away to avoid it. If you'd left its head before it died it would have attacked. You simply had to endure the pain to protect the others.

"And you, what is a human female doing in the company of dwarves?" a voice asked and you lifted your head to meet the eyes of an elf with sharp features and long, pale blonde hair. 

You blinked at him a couple of times, lifting your hand to wipe the blood away again. You narrowed your eyes and leaned forward to examine him before leaning back. "Why are your ears so pointy?" The problem with riding an animal's mind, is it took your brain awhile to get back to normal. Until it did you acted almost as if you were intoxicated. 

The dwarves around you snickered as the elf frowned at you. 

"Sorry," you said with a shrug as you rocked on your feet. "I thought it was random question time."

Just as he opened his mouth to say something you jerked your head to the side. More angry minds were coming this way. You turned back to the elf, suddenly serious. "We need to go. Now."

He studied you for a moment then nodded once and headed off into the trees.

***time skip brought to you by Thranduil's sass*** 

You'd fallen asleep the moment you laid down in the cell they put you in. A short time ago, you'd awoken but you still laid on the bed, your arm over your eyes. You were recuperating from your earlier spider adventure and searching the building for a critter you could use to get you the keys. 

"These elves are entirely too thorough in their pest control," you muttered, unable to find anything the right size to be of help. 

"y/n?"  a voice called your name causing you to frown.

You uncovered your eyes and tilted your head back. "Yes?"

You heard a sigh, then several voices started talking at once. "Easy, guys. I can't understand you when you talk all at once." You moved off the bed and over to the door so you could see some of the others. Everyone started talking again when you came into view. 

"Enough!" Thorin yelled and you looked at him with a smile. "Are you all right, lass?" he said as he turned back to you.

"Yes, of course," you answered, your brow furrowed in confusion.

"You've been asleep for three days, lass," Dwalin said and your head jerked in his direction. He was grasping the bars of the cell as he looked you over, worry evident in his eyes. 

You ran a hand through your hair. "I'm sorry. I have things to explain when there aren't so many pointy ears listening."

"Well, let's take care of that then, shall we?" said a familiar voice and you turned with wide eyes to watch Bilbo free everyone. 

When he opened the door of your cell, you were pushed back inside and up against the wall. Lips crashed onto yours. Once your wide eyes registered it was Dwalin you kissed him back. 

"Not the time, you two," Balin chastised and Dwalin grasped your hand is his and pulled you along to follow the others. 

You weren't certain what had come over the grumpy dwarf all of a sudden, but you liked it.