Chapter 7

Bon's P.O.V.

     A few days after our talk, Rin was let out of the hospital. I would have visited him once he got back to the dorm, but my mind was somewhere else. I couldn't stop thinking about our conversation from before...

~Flashback~

"Friend," he had laughed humorlessly. "What does that word even mean? What makes friendship?"

I had no answer for that and he knew it, so I sat there silently.

"That's what I thought."

He leaned back to rest his head and turned his gaze to the ceiling, before sighing wistfully.

"Friendship is said to be something precious, yet how can that be so, when the word is always being thrown around so easily? If it's so special, why do people end it? Isn't friendship supposed to be a promise? A promise to always stand together and to accept that person no matter what they've done or what you learn about them? If that's the case, then why do friends stab each other in the back? I've seen it all the time. Friends saying that they'll always be there for each other and the next day one of them goes around calling the other a freak. It happens all the time. If that's friendship... why would anyone want it?"

He looked out the window, toward the stars as if hoping they could tell him the answer. But as always, they said nothing.

I wanted to tell him he was wrong. I wanted I say that's not what happens and that none of the exwires would ever do that, but they all ready had...WE already had. We told him to trust us. We told him that friends rely on each other and that we'd stand by him. Yet, when it came down to it, when he needed us most, we turned out backs on him. Even when he'd try to protect us or make us smile, we pushed him away. And little by little we crushed his spirit until he was empty inside.

  I really wished I had a way to convince him that backstabbing and abandonment wasn't what friendship was, but how could I do that when we-the only friends he'd ever had- did just that. I realized then that I needed to fix this and to do that, I'd have to do everything I could to convince the others that he's more than just Satan's spawn.

  I looked up with a new determination in my eyes. "I'm going to prove to you that friendship is a beautiful and precious thing and that real friends don't turn on each other."

   He raised and eyebrow at me, doubt and disbelief plain on his face, "And how do you plan on doing that."

"The other exwires and I will prove it."

He snorted. "Oh yeah, cause ya know, we're such great friends," he shot sarcastically.

"You will be, soon enough!" I shouted enthusiastically.

  He rolled his eyes at me, but I swear I saw the trace of a smile briefly flit across his face.

~End of the longer than expected flashback~

  Now, the question is how I'm supposed to convince the others to look past the fact that Rin's dad is Satan. I look over at Shima and Koneko who were in the middle of a heated argument about where the best place to get ice pops were.