XIV. SEASON OF GIVING

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
( SEASON OF GIVING )

CHAPTER FOURTEEN ( SEASON OF GIVING )

WITH CHRISTMAS BREAK JUST AROUND the corner, Estelle finds herself in an increasingly festive mood. Said mood may also have the teensiest bit to do with the joys that come along with having romantic feelings for someone, but naturally, she tells everyone she's just ecstatic for Christmas. It's not a lie. She's missed her parents desperately and some quality family time has been in order for months now, especially considering the emotional rollercoaster Elliott has been on this year.

But, she's also noticed the newfound sense of giddiness she has. Simply being around James is enough to make her smile like a fool, and she's since talked through all of her feelings with Piper. After pulling an all-nighter to discuss Estelle's love life, they both came to the same conclusion: her feelings for James Potter are very real and very strong and she probably is fully in love with him.

That thought is not as terrifying as she once thought it would be, but Estelle thinks it has less to do with the concept of being in love and more to do with James himself. Loving James doesn't scare Estelle. It feels natural, like something she can do in her sleep. The only thing she truly fears is ruining the incredibly close bond she has with him if her feelings come to light and he doesn't feel the same and wants nothing to do with her. But that's the anxiety speaking—James would never leave her high and dry like that and she knows it. The matter of James' feelings is another thing entirely, but Piper and Remus have made quite convincing arguments assuring her that unrequited feelings would be a very unlikely outcome.

(Is it naïve to think he just might feel the same?)

Estelle isn't sure if James has noticed that she's a bit more keen to laugh at each of his jokes. If he has, he's yet to comment on it to her but that doesn't mean he's completely oblivious to her change in demeanor. He's got his head mostly screwed on right, anyways, and in three or so months he's become rather adept at reading Estelle.

As it stands, she's on her way to meet him near the Hufflepuff dormitories. It's past midnight, now a frigid Tuesday morning, but James sent her a transfigured note saying he wanted to have cake and cocoa, along with instructions on how to reply with her response. She doesn't know how he managed it, getting that message to appear from across the castle, but she must admit it's a neat little bit of magic. James never ceases to surprise her.

"You look awfully cozy."

She hears his voice before she sees him, looking up to find James standing next to the entrance to the kitchens. Smiling, Estelle tightens her grip on the blanket thrown over her shoulders.