5 - A SIDE PROJECT ✓

CHAPTER 5 || RIDDLE ME THIS

THE CULLEN RESIDENCE IS SOMETHING TO BEHOLD, a home that'll stand out in Brooke's memory amongst all of the other seemingly dull homes within Forks, Washington. It's southern wall is almost entirely made of glittering glass, with the suns rays beaming through, across the wooden floor; Brooke is staring so intently that she's able to notice each individual knot that accents the wood. As they pass, the Swan's tawny irises flicker across the view— the scaling evergreens that blend into a flurry of different shades with a brook that twists, bends and twirls around the ancient trunks of those mammoth trees; beautiful despite being hidden beneath an eternal cover of dark clouds. The home itself is well-proportioned and rectangular (and Brooke is figure out why she's noticing such minuscule details) with the exterior paint a faded white, with glossy wooden accents and flora planted in every vacant space of their gardens. Beside the central staircase is a grand piano, that Brooke both abhors and adores with the memories of her mother all but forcing her to attend her piano lessons and terrorising her until she did so as well as her eventual love for the music...eventual. They pass an open-planned kitchen, and a grand dining room and to Brooke -strangely- both appeared scarcely used though she just puts it down to both Mr. and Mrs. Cullen being very busy people and takeout being a likely source to the Cullen children's diet because of that fact. Then, they step onto the deep, wrap-around porch. Brooke's sneakers slip against the mellow wood, her fingers wrapping around the banister beside the couple of steps that lead to the garden.

Brooke is almost stunned by the yard, lips popped open as she stares openly in awe. The pathway is mossy, and is bordered by patches of luscious grass -cut to perfection- and at the bottom of the yard are tufts of brilliantly colored flowers; apricot orange, medallion yellow, indigo, scarlet and cobalt blend into a somehow perfect image; as if the colors were remotely beside each other in the color wheel. In this moment, Brooke wanted to draw (despite having near enough no skill in the arts, unless one considers photography an art as some become offended by the accusation). After the realization that she has no such skill, the brunette instead plucks her polaroid camera from her backpack after a moments rustling for it and snaps a quick photograph with a sheepishly timid smile to Alice Cullen. The pixie-like girl doesn't appear phased, in fact, her thin lips are brought upwards in an almost fond smile despite not knowing Brooke for very long at all with a roll of her topaz eyes and a shake of her head, Brooke would believe Alice had known her her whole life if she was none the wiser.

The Cullen skips toward the grass, settling cross-legged there before waving Brooke forward with her petite hand; nails perfectly manicured, of course. Brooke- for just a moment -feels insecure, as if her appearance is insignificant to Alice Cullen despite being aware that she is an attractive young woman. Though, her sportswear surely is a downfall to Alice's designer attire. Once Brooke snaps from her daze, she joins the pixie-like girl on the grass, almost emptying her backpack clumsily to gather her small collection of Shakespeare novels which she'd actually borrowed from Bella. Alice arches a pristinely plucked eyebrow, before laughing melodically when Brooke haphazardly shrugs in a humorous manner.

"I'd say the essay subject is pretty open, do you want to decide—?"

"It's a joint project, we can both decide." Alice quips, a good-natured smile across her flawless features as Brooke visibly relaxes, nodding her head.

"I was thinking we could do a debate, I take one stance, you take the other?" Brooke inputs, and at Alice's grin, Brooke takes a second to wonder if it was her idea or Alice's.

"On the topic of love and revenge. For example, does Hamlet reveal his feelings for Ophelia because of the desire for revenge?" The Swan is stunned, eyes blown wide as Alice voices the exact idea that had been floating in her head since she convinced coach to get the project changed from learning a scene to an essay. Alice seems content with herself as she makes a satisfied sound in the back of her throat but then her smile turns into something more bright, eyes staring over Brooke's shoulder before she's raising her hand to wiggle her fingers in a wave to whoever stands behind Brooke.