10. Lights

Stephanie was back at school today, and so was Mr. Westbrook. I walked into first period, noticing that he was in his desk at the front of the class, and she sat in her usual desk behind mine. I walked over to her and set my bag down on the floor before sliding into my desk. She flashed me a smile "Hey girl, did you miss me?" She asked.

      "Um duh" I leaned closer to her "you're the only one I know in this class" I whispered. She laughed "where were you anyway?"

      "I was sick" it's a normal answer, your go to answer. But something about the way she said it was vague, like there is certainly more to the story then that. I've been around spies, I've learned how to tell the perfect lie in the right situation. I've also learned how to tell if someone is lying. The slightest eye twitch, foot jump, fingers moving.

      Mr. Westbrook was gone as well. I turned my head to look at him. His eyes met mine for a quarter of a second before he looked away and fumbled with something on his desk. I nodded my head, pretending to be content with the answer. I leaned back in my seat, readying my notes for lecture.

      "Morning class" Mr. Westbrook stood up from his desk and smiled a handsome smile "I bet you missed me yesterday" he said sarcastically and turned on the projector with the remote. A slide show on a WW2 battle appeared on screen "Alright so today we will be starting the battle of D-Day, Maddox do you mind turning out the lights?" I reached up to the light switch and flipped them off so the screen could be more visible.

      After about a half hour of note taking, Mr. Westbrook aloud us to work together on a small project on a war battle of our choice. Stephanie and I were partners. Nobody was really paying attention to the project anyway, there was a light murmur floating around the room.

      "Hey, I'm going to the football game tonight, wanna come?" I asked Stephanie, jotting down a few notes on the Civil War Battle of Antietam.

"Sure" she nodded. I had turned my desk around so I could face her.

      "Ladies please, you can chat about boys later" Mr. Westbrook called humorously from his desk, basically telling us to get back to work. Stephanie smiled for a moment, but I could see the ends of her lips fell slightly.

      Beside me, a few people were chatting about what happen in D.C. with Spider-Man. I couldn't help but ease drop. They're talking about Peter, but nobody knows it's him. Just like nobody knows that it's me.

      The bell rang, setting us free from the class. I gathered my things and waited by the door for Stephanie. She was standing at Mr. Westbrook's desk, having a deep conversation with him. I wondered what they were talking about.

                                     ***

      I linked the necklace that belonged to my Mother around my neck, letting the silver chain rest on my chest. The tank top I wore covered it up. I went to my closet, pulling out a black jacket from the hanger. It was getting colder and colder by the day. October was almost over, then November would be upon us. Lila walked into my room, holding her stuffed bunny animal. She plopped down on my bed "Where are you going?" Lila asked.

"A football game" I replied, turning to face her as I slipped on the jacket.

"You look like a motorcycle person" Lila smiled.

      "Oh yea, motorcycle chic" I chuckled "who drives a station wagon meant for 40 year old mothers" I left the room and stepped down the stairs. Laura met me at the bottom "I'm heading out"