9. The Bleachers

A/N : Hey guys! I'm posting a small short story based off the movie Dunkirk. I'm not sure if any of you will be interested, but it's something that I really wanted to write since for the first second I saw the movie. It'll be out soon and I'm going to post the whole book at once instead of chapter by chapter.
So yeah, enjoy this chapter! Let me know what you think!! Love you all🖤

      In first period that day, Stephanie was absent. Mr. Westbrook wasn't there either so we had a substitute. It was weird, Stephanie was the only person I knew in that class, and the sub couldn't compete with Westbrook. We watched a NatGeo wild movie on VHS with a Tv that was mostly static. I left first period when the bell rang and started up the stairs to Science. My new friend Jordan is in that class with me.

      A familiar voice called my 'name' from the bottom of the stairs. I looked over my shoulder to see who it was.

      "Maddox!" It was Ames. He was making his way through the crowd of people who were also going up the stairs.

      "Oh, hey Ames..." it took every ounce of my strength to not flip out. There's no way he could possibly know that it was me who saved him last night, but part of me was still nervous that he might. I paused on the stairs and waited for him to catch up. He squeezed in between two people, finally coming to stand by me. We continued up the flight of stairs.

      "I heard about what happened last night. I'm sorry about that" I apologized. He had been with the local news this morning giving his side of the story. News vans were parked outside the building this morning before 1st period. Our school paper was loaded with 'The Flare' who saved Ames Justices life. Even the town paper was talking about it. Not to mention that it's spreading on media, that's never good.

      "Don't be" he brushed it off "It was terrifying, yes, but it was also a life changing experience. This person, whoever they are saved my life. I wish... I wish I could thank them, you know? I'm forever grateful to him, or her" he wasn't sure which one it was.

      "It's cool to know that heroes aren't so far away, huh?" I asked, reaching the top of the stairs.

      "Yea" Ames nodded, following me. He didn't even have a class on this floor. His second period class on even days is PE, which is downstairs in the Gymnasium.

      "Look" I stopped, hugging my books to my chest "Why don't we talk later? We could maybe get together on the bleachers or something. I do kinda feel bad that we missed our shot to hang out yesterday"

"Me too" he smiled his dimply smile "Bleachers, after school... so it's a date?"

***

      He met me there five minutes after the final bell rang. He held a couple bags of chips in his hands and offered me some. 10 minutes later, we lounged on the bleachers, eating chips and drinking school vending machine sweet tea "So, you named this glowing person The Flare?" I asked, the cool wind blowing my hair around. A few fall leaves danced around.

"That's right"

"Why?"

      He leaned back on the bleachers, giving a small shrug "I'm not sure, that's just the first thing I thought of when I saw her"

My heart froze for a split second "her?" I asked.

      "Yea, well I'm only guessing that it's a girl. I remember the body of the person wasn't all that masculine and broad looking, so I figured it was a girl. But it was dark so I could be wrong" he leaned his head back, thinking of his hero who was actually sitting right in front of him.