Sleepover

After a silent ride back, we arrive at the hotel.

The rest of the Lighters file in, all tired from the night's events. Everyone except for Perci. He seems wide awake, totally unfazed by what happened back there.

As everyone slowly files off to sleep, I turn to Eli.

"Where am I supposed to be?" I ask, yawning.

"Lyra, come over here with us!" Erica calls from a few feet away. She and her other beautiful Future cronies all smile at me, though their eyes shoot daggers. "You'll sleep in the bunks with us. It's like...a sleepover."

I roll my eyes, but I go over to them as they head to the elevator.

Erica motions to her friends while we wait. "Lyra, this is Yasmin, Lucille, Iela, and, oh, this is Nissa. Perci's girlfriend."

I study her carefully. She's every inch a model, from her long, toned legs, to her waist-long ombre hair. Nissa seems to be about Perci's age, but her waxy, symmetrical features could be any age.

"Hey," I say softly.

Nissa pushes her hair behind her shoulder as she adjusts her leather jacket. Even her clothes are cool. Leather jacket, dark navy jeans, knee high black riding boots. Dark and dramatic eye makeup that I don't know when she put on.

"You must be the little one," she replies icily. I lean my head against the wall, too tired to argue, when she laughs lightly. "You aren't that small, you know. I don't know why Perci's taken a liking to calling you that."

She speaks like a proper woman, like she's been to a prep school or something. So different than how most girls sound on the streets.

The elevator dings, and we all step inside.

"Well, Eli's got a huge crush on you, you know," sharp-featured Yasmin snaps. She looks jealous.

I shrug.

"I'm not interested in guys right now." I turn away before they can ask why, and it's silent for the rest of the trip.

The girls bring me to one of the hotel rooms converted into bunks. Unlike the other, bare, ones, it's clear that this one is lived in. Three bunk beds are pushed against the wall, the wall above each decorated with posters and drawings and art. The cold floor is covered with a brightly covered rug, the ceiling painted with a mural of stars. It's clear that this is home. And it's so much different than mine.

Most of the girls immediately start changing into pajamas, some wearing tee shirts to their knees, others in matching sets. Erica flops onto her bed, which has an intricate, sun-design covered quilt on it, and yawns.

"Honestly, I don't know why I do it," she confesses, words slurring in her tired voice. Someone turns on a speaker, and music begins playing. It is like a sleepover, like the girls in the neighborhood that I grew up in used to have. 

Nissa has the best bed, stacked high with fancy pillows and a soft duvet, a pretty mural painted on her wall. I guess that's one of the perks of being Perci's girlfriend- money. Her pajamas are silk and matching, so unlike my ratty old shirts at the garage.

I reluctantly take the bunk beneath her. It's bare, with a simple, threadbare blanket covering it. Thin as it might be, it's like sleeping on a cloud compared to the pallet at home. As the music plays, someone switches off the lights. Above me, Nissa plays on a cellphone. Erica's fallen fast asleep, and Iela as well. Lucille and Yasmin sit together on a bunk, whispering quietly.

So in the unfamiliar darkness, I wait for sleep.