Rings and Stings

"Zak!" I was tossing and turning...
"Sweetie, I'm right here...Corrine wake up." Zak was grabbing my arms. I awoke in a panic, another night terror.
"Zak, oh my god...I couldn't get away from it..I just..." I was shaking, sweating, and I was having anxiety.
"Baby, it was just a dream...it's ok...I'm right here and we are safe in the house. Just relax.." He held me so close I could literally feel every muscle in his body tighten and his grip around me tightened. He fell back asleep, but I couldn't, for quite a while. The clock read 4:34am and that's the last time I remember looking at the damn thing.
Zak couldn't resist and neither could I, it didn't take long for him to move back into his bedroom...broken rib or not...the sex was unbelievable. We were addicted to each other...but this was the third night in a row...same dream...I was running from something...not a person, but a feeling.
The next morning I woke up, Zak wasn't in bed and I was kind of nervous, but then I smelled coffee...I was getting used to being spoiled. It felt great. No other guy, besides Sam had ever treated me this way. I was feeling so loved, wanted, and adored, and I was forgetting all the issues that surrounded us. I went downstairs and there he was at the table with Gracie and Coco...
"Hey, you feel any better?" He asked and made his way over to me...he grabbed me by my waist, slowly pulled me close.
"Yeah, I'm sorry, it's that same damn dream."
"Are you still taking those pain meds?"
"Not every night." I said.
"Lay off them, that could be part of the problem, but ya know all that's been going on, stress, trying to heal..it can take a toll."
"I guess."
"I've got to head to the museum, do you want to go?" He had been asking me to go for a week, and I just couldn't do it...too weird for me.
"Hell no..I can't stand that creepy shit Zak..seriously."
"Alright, maybe one day you'll at least come by and sit in my office. It'd be nice to have my fine ass girl there, ya know...supporting me.."
"You mean making your fans jealous?"
"Ok that too." He kissed my cheek and started to walk out...then turned..."Oh, my house keeper is coming by...since you've been here I haven't wanted her to disturb you, but it's past time for the house to be clean, I'm not a very good maid." he winked and headed out. I opened the sliding door and went out to the pool. I was so tired, and the warmth of the sun felt great. I was itching, ready to get back to LA..I needed some beach therapy too. Zak was right, lay off the pills for a while...I was happy here, but really missing home and work.
Back in LA Kelli was swamped at the label and dealing with my wreck still.
"Thanks! I'll let Corrine know..she'll be thrilled." Kelli hung up and then looked over her shoulder.
"Billy!" He'd flown in to surprise Kelli..she rushed to him.
"Hey sexy...so what will Corrine be thrilled about?"
"Investigation dropped! Scott's prints were all
over that bag..plus her blood test shows very small amounts of medication, not enough of anything in her system to charge her with driving under the influence.."
"So..what...what happened to her?!"
"Hell if I know, asleep at the wheel maybe..but she's clear..." Kelli was relieved. "She'll be so glad to come home."
"Yeah, huh." Billy had a somber tone.
"What's wrong?"
"She'll be happy, but it's going to crush Zak."
"Really? It's gotten that serious for him?"
"Oh, has it...this is like Kristen all over again..we both know Corrine, she will want to come home....and I know Zak..he will be devastated."
I walked back in the house to find Anna, the housekeeper...she was so nice, and pleasant to talk with. She showed me pictures of her two daughters and her grandson. She'd worked for Zak about five years. She was there most of the day, cleaning, changing sheets, and doing all the laundry...even made me a cup of tea.
"Ms Corrine...all the laundry is done and folded..your pretty things are on top, I'm done.
"Oh, ok..thanks Anna." I wasn't quite sure what she meant...pretty things....my assistant had packed me a hospital bag when she came to visit, there was nothing that pretty in the bag..."Nice to meet you."
"You too, by far you are the sweetest one I've ever met." And she locked up on her way out.
I was sitting at the kitchen table with my cup of tea, reading an article and thinking about what Anna said...must have been a lot of women in and out of here... my phone then rang and interrupted my thoughts.
"Hey Kel.."
"Pack your bags sweetness..case closed...they don't have shit on you..it's been dropped."
"Are you fucking serious?!?!" I screamed so loud I scared Gracie and Coco...they were napping at my feet.
"Yep, now you and Zak celebrate!"
   "Celebrate?! I'm getting my ass back on a plane and back to LA and work!..Kelli, I can't thank you enough..I'm so grateful for you and Jake handling all this." Jake was an old college buddy of Kelli's..he kicked ass in criminal court.
"I love ya..you know that..when the files opened up and the judge realized there was a past history with you and Detective Hill he dismissed it, it was all based on speculation..Hill was put on probation again and Jake filed a temporary order to keep him away from you."
"I can't wait to tell Zak about it, and come home...I gotta go." I hung up and went upstairs to pack. I was so happy everything was finally over with. Then, I noticed something. The pretty things on top of my laundry that Anna spoke of...
"So how did she sound?" Billy asked.
"Ecstatic...you're right...she's coming home.."
"Shit...here we go..Zak will be crushed, mad, and fucking unbearable to be around...this ought to make our next road trip a blast." He was so sarcastic.
"Hey, they will work it out, and ignore Zak on the road..he needs to grow up. Now, you and I have some business of our own to take care of." Kelli smiled and Billy knew exactly what she was thinking.
"Your place?"
"Yes sir!"
"Alright, but hang on a second...I was going to save this until later, but I'm doing it now." Billy got down on one knee..
"Billy, what are you doing?" Kelli knew, but was shocked.
"Kel, I love you so much..I can't be without you...marry me..please."
"Billy...yes!" She was crying and he put that rock on her finger.
  Back in Vegas, Zak was about to get a sting...
"Babe, I'm home!" Zak came through the front door...Gracie greeted him, but not Coco.
"Babe, you upstairs?" Zak walked around and looked everywhere...he started up the stairs and saw me standing there. Dressed, looking amazing..with Coco in my arms, and my bag next to me at the top of the stairs.
"What's going on?"
"Kelli called, the case was dropped...I'm going home." I had no expression on my face, and said it quickly..no emotion.
"That's great, but stop messing around, you aren't leaving...come on." he finished his slow walk up the stairs, still smiling, but I wasn't.
   "I'm not messing around...I think it's time for me to go home...and I need to get back to work."
   "Corrine what is wrong with you? Are you alright?" He looked at me serious and a bit concerned..then I let it out, oddly enough I was calm.
   "I guess another reason you left LA so quick was to get back to your whore you had here?"
   "What are you talking about? Look, you're tired, and did you take another one of those pills?" He was confused.
   "Move..." and I pushed passed him, picked up my bag, throwing it down the stairs...it hurt my shoulder and rib, but I never let on.
   "What the hell is your deal?!" He was getting frustrated and raised his voice. Zak was unsure about what game he thought I was playing.
   I got to the bottom of the stairs and turned to him rushing down right behind me...
   "Does this answer your question?" I took a pair of black lace underwear out of my pocket and threw them in his face...he  turned pale instantly...he knew...but I was still very calm.

  "Judging by the look on your face you remember which little slut these belong too

  "Judging by the look on your face you remember which little slut these belong too..."
   "Shit, you've got it all wrong Corrine, calm down before you say something you will regret.."
   "Oh I don't regret anything I ever say...Cheater!" Then I let it go...getting louder.
   "It's not what you think...Allison was here..."
  "Oh great, the threesome chick..I don't want to hear another word out of your mouth..this makes me sick...like I could puke on your stairs." I actually felt nausea.
  "Corrine she showed up uninvited and I told her ass to leave!"
   "Before or after you fucked her?! I could feel
my blood boiling, and my voice got louder with each sentence.
  "I got home and she had snuck in my house..she was upstairs..." he was trying to tell the truth, but I couldn't stand hearing it...I believed nothing at that point...all I saw was red...anger.
  "Save it...I'm out...and ya know I actually thought you were it...the one I could "see myself with!!"
  "What about you and Sam..he was in your place!"  Zak was getting louder, but I topped him..
  "I didn't fuck Sam! That's the difference!" I yelled, and I think the windows shook. "But maybe I'll even the score when I get home..." I picked up my bag and my car service was waiting. I'd called and gotten a first class flight out..on Zak's dime too. I was heading home...in pain, mentally and physically...I slammed the door. That would be the last we spoke for a while.