The Third Night: The Truth Made of Stained Glass

May 24, 2009

Momiji Sakakibara's POV

I was surprised at how fast I had adjusted to life back in the city. The bullies were still around, but thanks to Mitsuru and Akihiko, they weren't as bad as before. Now it was just glares and some name calling, rather than the drastic measures I was used to. I became good friends with Yukari, Junpei, and Minato, and often hung out with them after school. I've spent time with Akihiko during lunch, and we talked about his training methods and some of his favorite memories of boxing; he even took an interest in my past career in the ring. Sometimes, if I had work after school, I'd drop off a lunch for him and Mitsuru, and ask them what they'd want me to cook for dinner. Oh, and dinners with them are so much fun! Everything is so lively, and they're really amazing people.

And speaking of friends, I even became friends with Fuuka Yamagishi, the girl who visited the flower shop a few weeks ago. It doesn't seem like her problem with her own bullies is getting much better, so I do whatever I can to cheer her up. Sometimes we'd talk about flowers, sometimes we'd talk about different cooking techniques, and sometimes we'd just talk about anything we could think of. She's such a sweet girl; I can't imagine why anyone would want to pick on her. She seemed to cheer up whenever I saw her, but whenever I saw her at school, I could see that she was depressed and lost. I want to help her, but I also want her to see that she can stand up on her own two feet. I just hope that everything turns out okay...

Today was Sunday, so that meant no school, and I hadn't gotten a call from my boss asking me to come in today. I prepared for my day as I usually do. For the first few minutes of my day, I stood with my back towards the mirror, and gazed at my scars that hid under my clothes. They were so large, they covered most of my back, and they were jagged, dark, and absolutely ugly. I reached over my shoulder and touched a bump that could be found by my spine. I flinched, knowing exactly what was trying to escape from my skin,' Maybe I should go to the doctor today; I'd hate for this shard of glass to come out while I'm in class.' I turned around, running my fingers through my hair before my eyes fell upon the scars around my neck. The tiny crescents are the scars that I don't recall ever getting. I don't remember where I got it, and I don't remember who gave it to me. This was the mark that proved that I couldn't speak without much difficulty. The mark that's acted as my voice's seal for almost three years now. My fingertips brushed against the scar tissue, trembling as I traced them.  I quickly shook my head, and brushed my teeth. I placed a sweater over the mirror. I didn't want to see those scars anymore.

It was still chilly outside, but I have a slightly higher tolerance to the cold. My winter clothes consisted of a white short-sleeved dress that faded into a stormy gray towards the skirt, and a bright red sweater I'd wear over it. I tugged on a pair of white thigh high stockings and a pair of black Mary Janes before hiding my neck with my dirty scarf. I looked to the worn fabric with a sorrowful gaze; this was the last thing my parents left me before they vanished. My sadness was cut off by the feeling of the glass shifting within my flesh, and I winced, quickly snatching up my cellphone and a small black purse that I rested against my hip. All I could hope to do now was to get out without anyone finding out where I was going...

Yukari Takeba's POV

"Good morning Senpai!" I greeted the last of us of the dorm with a large smile," Do you want something to eat?" The girl shook her head, and I noticed that she seemed a bit pale and her eyes were sparking with hints of pain," No, it's okay. Thank you though." I wasn't the only one that noticed that something was wrong. "Hey, are you okay?" Junpei asked, getting everyone's attention," You don't look too good." She began to fidget, avoiding everyone's gaze as she held her phone up for everyone to see," I made an appointment with my doctor at the hospital. My condition is acting up again." There was a worried frown on everyone's faces, and Minato stood up from his seat at the table to approach her," The hospital is quite a walk; would you like me to come with you? Maybe call a cab?"  She gave us a tired smile, but winced and shifted slightly," It's not too bad, so I think I'll be okay by myself." Akihiko stood up next, followed by myself and Junpei," No, someone should come with you just in case. Let me get my coat and we can go."