№ 29. Burning Bridges

"Can't get to the phone, so leave you name and number. If I feel like it, I'll call back."

     I drop my phone back onto the table with a huff, staring at it's dull screen hopelessly.

"Cassidy, I think you need to give it a rest," Emma tries, her voice soft and cautious.

"He won't pick up. It's been five days," my feet tap against the linoleum beneath our booth.

"He probably just needs some space," Nick offers.

    I inhale deeply, keeping a close eye on the phone, even though Emma and Nick are just about prepared to rip it from my hands. This had to be the hundredth call I've made to George, and every time the line rings incessantly before it reaches his voicemail and I hang up.

That's the only thing that I haven't done though; no voicemails. I never saw the point in them, especially if the person on the other end isn't going to call back. If you want to talk to me, answer the god damn phone.

    Emma sits back in the booth, with Nick perched loyally beside her and their hands entwined. I'm still surprised by how fast they're moving, but Emma seems really happy, and words can't describe Nick's ecstasy.

"Isn't a week enough space?" I sigh.

"Isn't Jeremy living with you?" Emma raises a stern brow.

"I just want to talk to him. Figure all of this out...I wish Jeremy would just leave."

"Well maybe if you told me sooner..." Emma nudges me with her stare but I give her a grimace instead.

"Did he call his parents?" Nick asks politely.

I hone in on Emma who suddenly raises two defensive palms, "You told him?"

"What's there to hide? Plus, Nick makes a valid point."

"Thank you," Nick smiles at Emma and pecks her on the cheek.

She giggles, but then aims for his lips, and I let out an agitated groan as their PDA intensifies.

"Vomit. Please, can we stay on track for more than a minute here?"

Nick swings his head towards me, clearly annoyed about my disruption, "So did he?"

"Did he what?"

"Did Jeremy call his parents yet?" Emma rests her head on Nick's shoulder.

I fidget with my milkshake, stabbing the straw repetitively through the icy sludge , "Well..."

"Oh fucking hell, Cassidy. I'm sick of this already," Emma shoots up in her seat.

"You're sick of this? I'm the one who's fed up!"

"Then stop shooting yourself in the head!"

"Hon', I don't think that's the right expression," Nick pokes Emma's arm gently, but she's far gone by now, and it took a lot for Emma to loose her cool.

"I am not!" I counter.

"You are too! You've been doing it for a year now Cassidy! I love you but for heaven's sake, you can be really stupid sometimes."

"Excuse me?" my voice cracks and my brow creases in hurt.

"Jeremy broke your heart. I get that. But it's been long enough. This great guy comes along but you just can't seem to get your head out of your ass to realize what's right in front of you."

I slam a hand on the table, making Nick squirm, "No, you don't get it. So you don't get to sit here and tell me to get over it. How dare you."