№ 15. Kelly

Clouds are different. They can be fairly large and the color of freshly fallen snow, or be faint wisps that simply paint the sky. But here, they were plain ol' fat and grey, hanging lazily over the streets. They seemed to be the only things that remained constant in my life as of now,  aside from my one big tooth being slightly crooked and my lack of a love life.

Love life in itself just sounds bad; I don't like that phrase anymore, too much pressure attached. I tried the whole mantra of I'm a strong, independent woman and I don't need a man to be complete, but hey, a nice date or roses every once in a while wouldn't hurt.

Is it too much ask for? Well, apparently not, since I discovered from waking up in the mornings that I clutch onto a pillow as if it were a body. Even unconsciously I crave companionship on a more intimate level. And now I seem like a robotic psychologist trying to explain rationally my irrational actions. I can't analyze myself, I would go crazy - which is what's happening now.

Couples littered sidewalks, cafes, and every other public domain possible. I couldn't even do my grocery shopping in peace. All I wanted to do was buy my microwave dinner and get home to watch TV. Just let me be single and lonely - don't rub it in my face. I was placing my ten items on the conveyor and standing in line while an adorable pair nuzzled noses and held hands. They kept pecking, she kept giggling and he kept whispering in her ear. He was polished and well dressed; so was she, with perfectly set curls and precisely painted lips.

Perfect and perfect, yay. Somehow managing to pay and squeeze by them, I grabbed my groceries and left,  grumbling to myself the whole way home. Having a boyfriend wasn't at the top of my priority list. I just wanted an apology. Something sincere for all the hurt. But I was never going to get that, not from Jeremy.

Unloading everything in the fridge once I arrived, I immediately walked through the apartment, picking up pieces of clothing that lay scattered around. Chelsea was a pig when it came to basic cleanliness, and I always dumped her things in her room only for them to reappear the next day. It was hopeless but I still tried;  however underwear was one thing I stayed away from. 

I changed into something comfortable and left the apartment for work, only to walk into Gary's and find more nauseating romance. They were everywhere;  this was becoming an epidemic. Sure I had an eight hour shift but seriously, I didn't know if I could take much more of this. Rounding the counter, I dropped off my bag and tied on an apron, clocked in, and finally strolled over to the register.

"How can I help you? " I asked warily.

That was the beginning and end of all consumer based conversations, and the phrase was now branded on my brain.

Of course the occassional person who decided to waste my time would ask the most pleasant questions.

"What does the pumpkin latte taste like?"

"Is it real cinnamon?"

"Can I have a cheeseburger?"

Of course cheeseburger guy was high, but nontheless I had to deal with them all. Putting on a cheery smile no matter what did make all the difference however,  and I was getting some change thrown my way into my tip jar. Nick of course was always bright behind the counter,  and he filled out orders fast as the line grew. Probably two hours before closing time, the line began to dwindle and I could see the end was near. My feet hurt and my back was stiff, but still I rang up customers.

Punching a few buttons on the register, I looked up to find a pretty brunette, leggy with deep green eyes and rosy cheeks.

"What can I get you tonight?"