Chapter 12

A/N -Ok so the once a week posting has not been working...obviously lol. Sorry about that! Since I have other stories going I have been trying to work on those as well. So, pls be patient with me. Thanx so much for all of your comments, votes and likes! After this chapter things will escalate a bit. :) Enjoy the read!

Ch. 12 “Love me when I least deserve it; because that’s when I’ll really need it.” –Swedish Proverb

Amber fields stretched for miles and miles. Tranquil, she walked through the weeds, towards the sunlight and tilted her face upwards to feel its warmth.

“Alla,” a weak, familiar voice, called out to her.

Emerald eyes immediately opened and eagerly sought out her mama, gasping when she suddenly appeared right before her.

“You forget yo’ promise. You ashamed.” Her mama looked down, burying her face in her fists.

“I’m not ashamed mama,” Alla insisted, taking a step forward to console her. Placing a hand on her mama’s shoulder, she continued, “I could never be ashamed of you. I love you!”

Mama held a fist to her heart, and beat it roughly. “You ashamed. You ashamed,” she repeated, shaking her head sadly, backing away from her.

“Mama! No! Don’t leave me!”

Further away she drifted, holding one tight scarred fist to her chest. When she finally dropped her fist, her hand slowly opened. A tarnished pendant fell from her hand and hit the ground.

An expression of heart-break dominated her mama’s features. She steadily met Alla’s gaze, before completely disappearing.

“Mama!” Alla jerked awake, and bolted upright. Tears streaked her face, as she tried to swallow the lump that had formed in her throat while she dreamt. Looking around the grandly furnished room; she caressed her chilled arms. Had she forgotten her mama, her family? When she first arrived to Liverpool, she’d thought about how nice it would be to be consumed with parties and dances, to only experience the good in the world and not the bad.

Alla hadn’t even realized that she had been doing those things; that she was consumed with parties, and distracted by the trivialities of life. In being so, was she beginning to forget who she was, and where she came from?

Ignoring the breakfast tray that was set out on her nightstand, Alla flung the covers aside, got dressed, and pinned her hair up into a thick knot, before leaving the room. Godfrey intercepted her on the stairs; his chin was elevated as he spoke. “His grace is occupied at the moment, so your assistance this morning will be unnecessary. However, there is a possibility that he will need your services this afternoon, and so you are to remain on the grounds today.”

“Very well.”

After Godfrey left, she headed in another direction to search for William. Was this another attempt to keep her away from Addison? Maybe it isn’t that at all, she thought, maybe…he wished to avoid her. Pushing her thoughts aside, she walked into the room William occupied.

Alla found him lying on his stomach in the middle of the floor, reading a book. Surprise lit his features when he heard her come in and she instantly smiled down at him. “We are going to spend the morning together, instead of the afternoon.”

His answering toothless smile was all she needed to brighten her day.

“So, what do you wish to do today? We can explore outside or read a book if you’d like.”