Chapter 10

A/N- Ok..so I have no idea why but everytime I post a chapter there's like 20,0000 spaces between each paragraph once its saved. Grrrrr! I'm not doin that on purpose and am annoyed by it myself. lol. Thanks SOOO much everyone who is leaving reviews, fanning and voting! I realllllllllllly appreciate it! Onto the next chapter. I hope you likey!

"Conflict Builds Character. Crisis Defines It."

-Steven V. Thulon

Alla’s formal curtsy was, no doubt, a ridiculous attempt at civility since she was covered in mud, and was steadily becoming soaked with rain. The marquis’s following chuckle did not irk her as the duke’s had, and she found herself very surprised at the revelation.

“Katrina, what happened to you?!” he asked, stupefied.

When Alla noted that he did not look upon her in revulsion, but still appeared friendly, her discomfort dissipated.

She threw her arms up in defeat, returning his smile. “It was only Sam and I on the roads, and when we became stuck I decided to help. Shortly after that decision, I slipped and fell in the mud.”

“You helped the driver in dislodging the carriage from the mud?”

“No, no, I tried.”

“Ah,” he chuckled.

“You see, the carriage wheel was broken when I tried to dislodge it.”

The marquis’s confusion was evident. “Well, if you knew it was broken, why did you—“

“No, you’re getting this all wrong. I hadn’t a clue it was broken until the Duke of Manchester came through and took stock of the situation.”

The marquis looked up at his carriage driver, noticed that Sam was seated at the top, and ushered her along. “Come; let us continue this conversation inside my carriage, and out of this rain.”

“No!”

“No?” The marquis sounded like the duke when he repeated what she said. They both acted as if they had never heard the word before.

“Addison, I am covered in mud and rain. I will ruin your seats!”

“Nonsense,” he stated firmly, superiorly. “I’ll not have you ride outside in this weather. Come in at once.” His tone left no room for disagreement. Since Alla was cold, she didn’t argue with him.

Once they were both seated, they resumed their conversation.

“Let me see if I can get this straight. Brandon came through here, saw that the wheel was broken, and left you alone with the driver… in the rain?” he asked, disapprovingly.

“It wasn’t raining when he left us,” she explained. Her reasoning didn’t seem to reach the marquis, however. He remained silent.

“He did offer me a ride, Addison,” she tried again.

“And you refused?!”

“His carriage was already full of people. Truly, there was no room, and I would have muddied everyone inside.”

“Full of people?” he repeated, skeptically.

She nodded quickly. “It was so full that hands and legs were dangling out of the windows.”

Addison smiled at her jest.

“Besides,” she continued, “he was to return shortly. I don’t know what happened to him, but rest assured; I am happier in your carriage than I would have been in his.”