nine

The California sun warms my cheeks as I get out of my car to enter the tiny café in an even smaller neighborhood.

Through the glass windows, I recognize a familiar face seated at a round table, anxiously looking at the door awaiting my arrival. The shop is otherwise empty, thank goodness for that.

"Calum!" I exclaim, walking into the shop with a small smile directed at him. His eyes are on me but his face holds an unpleasant expression.

"How are you?" he asks quietly to be courteous.

"I'm rad, you know, just waiting for my uncle to come kill me for this." My joke comes out sounding more bitter and sadistic than I'd like so I add, "Sorry, that was freaky. I'm okay, you?"

I look at him, scanning his face in an attempt to figure out what he's thinking.

"I have to leave for London in a bit, you should get to whatever you need to say," he says. He's quiet but firm and seems tense and awkward.

"Stop being so awkward and maybe I'll make it quick," I fire back.

Calum shoots a small smile my way and I smirk back at him, clapping my hands together.

"Whatever I'm about to tell you will probably sound ridiculous, too ridiculous to even be a TV episode."

He gulps and nods his head slowly, unaware of what he's getting into.

"So whether I'm telling the complete truth is based on whether or not you trust me. And the fact that I'm about to tell you all of this means I trust you."

"Get on with it, please, babe."

I smile and nod, "So, I was born in India and was shipped away from there to London where I was adopted. I lived there for about ten years before spending a few years in New York and finally settling here. When I moved here was around when I got into pageants, and soon after I was at the top of the game and became Miss Teen USA. At the time, I was dating my best friend, Adam." I pause for a minute to blink, ensuring that tears wouldn't be shed during the course of my story.

"But of course, when I got that sash everyone had to know if I was single or not. So I proudly proclaimed to every magazine that I was dating my pal Adam."

Calum and I both wince and I nod, "Big mistake, I know. I was young and dumb and my publicist didn't warn me against it.

"So then we got the first text. I was in Italy around my birthday and Adam was back home in Cali. Happy birthday, Maya...I'm sure you miss Adam -Z, it said." Shivers course through me as the message slips out of my mouth. "I was petrified and even more-so to come home to my boyfriend's funeral."

I pause to look at a horrified and wide-eyed Calum, smiling slightly at his expression in hopes of comforting him.

"The media thought it was a car crash and the buzz died down eventually, although I wasn't even that big of a deal to begin with. I'm no Miss Universe or anything, nobody really cares about me.

"I wasn't allowed to grieve. I was kept busy to take full advantage of my year as Miss Teen USA. And it was then that my parents told me something interesting-- Z is my uncle. He lived in America but moved to India before we got here. Nobody would let me find out more about him but there was just one rule-- no boys. I broke that rule. Jonah came along and made me feel the happiest I had been since Adam departed and I gladly let him into my life. After a few months I confirmed that we were dating because I obviously hadn't learned my lesson." The hairs on my arm raise as I recall the second message. "Italy is bad luck, huh? -Z, that message read. I was in Italy when I recieved a heart wrenching voicemail from Jonah; it consisted of him screaming to be saved..."

My composure will soon crack but Calum seems unable to move to comfort me. And I wouldn't be able to function either if I was him.

"Two deaths within the year...if I hadn't been so fucking stupid, I would have saved two lives, Calum."

"Does that mean I'm going to die?" he chokes out.

I laugh and tell him, "Not if we don't confirm anything."

"So we can still talk?" He seems relieved but still uneasy.

"Calum! Which part of that story made you want to talk to me?!" I exclaim.

"The part where you're heartbroken and alone because of a threatening uncle dude." He smirks and I can't help mirror the gesture.

"You know what sucks? We don't know why he does it. My parents don't tell me anything an-- wait! I forgot, my uncle is a prince. He has a daughter my age. That's really all I know."

"So he doesn't want you to date? Is that all?"

I'm getting frustrated as I lean closer and tell him sternly, "Calum, that 'isn't all'. I don't know why you don't realise the severity of this but two lives have been taken simply because of my love and you could be next."

"You just said I won't die unless we confirm it!" he whines.

I smirk and tell him, "You don't give up easily, do you?"

"A lot of guys don't like challenges, and neither do I. But if you're the prize then anyone would accept the challenge."

"If you don't back off I just may have to kill you, Calum Hood."

He laughs and raises an eyebrow before furrowing them in a sudden state of confusion. "But how come we got the text before confirming anything this time?" he asks.

"Exactly what I want to know. It's dangerous and scary, Calum," my voice wavers and the feeling of impending doom returns to my stomach and sinks, resting there like a boulder.

"And why not go to the police?".

"It was too late. I got the message afterwards anyway."

"But the police could track it, yeah?"

I sigh and shake my head. "I was too afraid, though... and my parents talked me out of it. Do you think I should this time?"

"I do. I'll even do it if you want?"

I take a deep breath and look out the window next to us. If the police is involved that means the media will know and I will have be involved. I'll be more in the spotlight and I'll have cops around me, and even if my parents are across the world that's something they'd find out about.

"Hey," Calum places his hand over mine and I look at him, "Don't worry. I'm here, I'll keep us safe."

My vision blurs and there are so many things, so many emotions I wish I could explain, but the words don't form a coherent sentence.

I take a deep breath and tell him, "My parents, they'd be mad."

"You'll have me."

"But what if something happens and I lose you, too? What if you're gone and I'm left completely alone?"

"Maya, don't think like that. Think of it like this: I'm on your side. I'm going to help you figure this out so that after me, nobody gets hurt. Even if I get hurt, it'll be worth it."

I gasp and frantically shake my head. "No, no, no. You can't get hurt, that's the point."

"I won't, I won't. Please, Maya? I know that with Adam or Jonah you hadn't told anybody anything but you're telling me and I think that means something."

The boy in front of me is pleading to let him help me, he's saving me from something nobody has ever dared to even discuss with me.

I would lose the support of my family and put all of me into someone I've known for only a matter of days, and I can't quite decide if it's worth it.

(A/N: so as you can see things are picking up, albeit quite slow. please please tell me if you love it or if you hate it or if you have any critique. it would mean a whole lot and urge me to continue. thanks loves :))