Fear

Sherlock rushed into the grocery store, shoving the door with such force that it slammed into the counter behind it and resounded across the store. People goggled at him from all sides, but it didn't bother him. It never did. He ran through to the dairy section, where he was sure they would be (if he was there, Sherlock reminded himself, if he was there). Sure enough, two figures laughing at some joke stood near the milk section, baskets in hand. Sherlock heaved a sigh of relief but did not slow his pace. He tapped John's shoulder and thrust the note into his hand, ordering him to read it.

John stood in shock, wondering why Sherlock was here. He took the note and he and Lucie started reading it. When it was done, John dropped the note.

"Sherlock, what have you done?"

"I don't know.... Yet. She's killing off everyone I love most. That obviously includes you."

Here Lucie turned to Sherlock with irritance.

"You mean you didn't tell him??"

"I didn't want him worrying!"

"Home. Now. I'll pay for the goods. Keep him safe."

Sherlock and John near ran home.  Once they had reached the cover of their house, Sherlock relaxed. John still looked troubled.

"What makes you think we're safe here?!"

"Mycroft's got snipers trained on every possible entrance."

"Okay.... What about Lucie?"

"She'll be fine, the note only talked about you."

"Sherlock, if anything happens to her...."

"It won't, and I'm sure Mycroft's got a man on her as well."

Lucie soon returned, panting.

"You guys alright? We gotta calm our nerves... Let's make cookies our something."

A few minutes later, they were all in the kitchen kneading dough. Sherlock reached out for Lucie's trembling hands and squeezed them. All that evening, no one could keep still, and John suggested they have an early night. Lucie skipped schoolwork and went straight to bed.

Sherlock knew he wouldn't be sleeping for quite a while, so he lay and stared at the ceiling. He didn't know how long had passed, maybe hours, he didn't know, but he heard muffled sounds coming from Lucie's room. He got up and went to her. Lucie whimpered in her small, bed, scrunching up into a ball. Now and then she let it short yelps and screams. She turned to him, eyes sleep ridden and wide with fear, and collapsed onto the bed.

"Thank you so much. I'm very sorry if I woke you..."

"Shhh. It's ok, I was awake. Go to sleep."

He climbed in with her, his body sheltering hers and warming the sheets. They soon fell asleep in this friendly embrace, far quicker than they would've alone.