Chapter One: Warm welcome

"Home sweet home."

The rowdy streets were busy with people coming in and out of the surrounding shops. The sharp blaring noises of car horns zipped through the smoky rainy air. As I walked up the peeling stairs, I looked up at my new home.It was almost disrespectfully hideous. The pale brick apartment building looked as if I breathed any harder, it would crumble to pieces.

The halls stench greeted me with a medley of frying oil, sweat, and possibly blood. For a brief moment I considered backing out, but I instantly cleared those thoughts knowing I didn't have the heart to kill the plans Tiffany and I made since we were twelve. And I couldn't give my parents the satisfaction of me coming back home so soon.

I didn't even have a chance to use my key before the chipping 441 door of my apartment swung open in a fury, "Nami!" my best friend called out to me. I caught sight of her wide smile before her arms captured me.

"You know I hate hugs, Tiff." I groaned into her honey-brown hair.

She rolled her eyes. "You know that doesn't apply to me."

When she turned back into the apartment I'm surprised to discover that it was quite nice. I mean when you walk into young musician's bachelor pad, what do you expect?For me personally, A torn futon and pizza slices scattered around the place like candles. But yet, there were bookshelves and plants. I'm not sure what I expected from Tiffany's rock star boyfriend's apartment, but it definitely wasn't bookshelves and plants.

"Who knew that Lincoln was secretly Martha Stewart ?" I picked up one of the plastic white tulips that was kept in a glass vase as a centerpiece.

She snorted."No, that was me. Have to busy myself somehow while he's on tour."

I set my bags down by my feet and sigh. ignoring the voice in my head saying how ungrateful that was to say while I've been nothing but attentive towards her since he has left. They've only been together for six months but it feels like ten years deep into marriage the way those two act. She has a key to his apartment and will keep his bed warm while he's away. When she suggested that we spend the summer together at his place before I leave off to uni, I couldn't say no. We always talked about us moving in together. Who knew how often we would see each other when I move across the state line? Or with how things are moving with her and Lincoln, when would we have the chance to live together?

A blaring ringtone cuts off my thoughts.

"Speak of the devil." She grins at me on a geographical scale. I nod my head towards the back to let her know I'll go to my room to give them a moment.

I hear her voice all high and sweet as molasses as I recede down the hall, and force myself not to frown. Lincoln's guest room is where he keeps his instruments. I bet this is where he writes music too. The large window with a fire escape combo overlooks the city. In a nauseatingly cringy artist mindset, I bet he thinks it gives him inspiration. I unpack, and hope that I get in higher spirits. The rainy weather must be the reason for my mood.

"You hungry?" she pops her head into my new room with a smirk.

"Must you ask rhetorical questions?"

The sky had changed from a grayish white to black and blue. The evening was illuminated from the city life. So different compared to our little suburban town that lies on the outskirts of these lights. It's pretty when it's dark. The area was a hot hub for young adults since there were three surrounding universities. One of which, Tiffany is attending this upcoming fall. Freedom and stupidity hung in the air, but I marveled in it. I was finally free. We didn't walk far before we settled on a restaurant named O'conners.