Chapter 4

Accidental Kisses

Chapter 4

"It takes me a moment to figure out that we both are leaning forward, but I quickly clear my throat and pick up the fallen book."

Annabeth's POV

I let out a frustrated breath as I run - or try to run my brush through my unresponsive hair. It is hanging in a tangled mess which bothers me to end.

You know what?, I think silently. Who cares anyway?

Letting out a chuckle at my thoughts, I quickly brush my hair to point in which it looks decent enough and start downstairs.

"I'm going to school now!" I yell, trying to inform my step-mom in the kitchen.

"Okay, honey. Have a good day!" She replies, and with that, I'm out the door. I notice Percy's black car is already out of the driveway, which means he'd at school early. I let out a surprised snort at the thought of Percy being early to school, shake my head, and head Thalia's house. I see Thalia waiting, her eyes glued to her phone. She takes a quick peek up and spots me, grinning.

"Hey, Annie!" She smirks, ruffling my hair.

"Hey!" I exclaim, slapping her hand away. "That took me forever!" She snorts and goes back to her phone, making me roll my eyes. She keeps her phone in her hand and hands me the keys to the car, so I can drive.

When we reach school fifteen minutes later, I walk up to my locker and put my textbooks inside, noticing the hallways are practically empty. Frowning, I turn to Thalia, who has been walking behind me, her eyes still glued on her phone.

"Where is everyone?" I wonder out loud, trying to remember if there's anything special today.

Thalia looks up and smirks, finally putting her phone off and into the back pocket of her jeans.

"I thought you'd never ask." She says dramatically, laughing as I roll my eyes. "They're all outside in the pool area. The tryouts are today."

"Oh." I say, reveling at how stupid I sound. "I knew that." I say, as she rolls her eyes.

"We should go watch." Thalia says, nodding towards the hallway to the pool area. "I heard Luke is trying to beat Percy this year." She snickers.

I immediately stop and face her. "Luke and Percy?" I ask, now wary of going to watch. I vaguely remember Percy's text, and then realize why he was preparing so much for this these tryouts. He wanted me to come watch him.

"Yeah." Thalia shrugs. "Usually people came to see hot guys, not that Luke and Percy aren't, but this time it's actually about the swimming. People say that Luke might be able to beat Percy, but I don't think so. I mean, Percy's won the competition for three years straight." She says, and my head forms a picture of Percy swimming, clad in swimming trunks, setting a school record.

I nod, trying to get the ridiculous blush from the mental image off my face. Thalia raises an eyebrow, but smirks anyway.

"Come on then, Annie!" She hollers as she walks past the doors to the pool area. "Let's go cheer on my idiot of a cousin!"

I roll my eyes again, a habit I've been doing a lot lately, thanks to her, and push through the doors.

I'm immediately surprised at the number of people who have come to watch, and unknowingly annoyed at the number of girls by Percy's side. Then, I'm confused as to why I am annoyed.

Shaking the emotions to the side, I see people cheering as Luke dives into the water and swims to one side, flips, and then back in 58 seconds. As soon as he reaches the to the starting side, people start cheering. I see Percy roll his eyes from the sidelines, and his gaze moves in further back until our eyes connect.