Chapter 3

It’s been a week since Morie asked me if I have been in love with a guy. I still haven’t found the answer for that question. It has been replaying over and over in my head.

School’s up, Ugghh… Monday, how I hate Mondays. I need to wake up early as my class will start by 7am, major class so no need to be late. When I arrived at school, guess what?! No teacher. Great. Just great.

“I woke up early to make it on time, and yet the prof doesn’t show up. Great.” I was saying this aloud when I heard steps coming behind me.

“Hey. Why so grumpy?! Just be thankful there’s no class today!” said the voice behind me.

I looked back, there he was, that tall thin guy again. Goose bumps all over, What is this strange feeling again?

“Are you okay?” he said again.

“Yes I am. I just got back from Mars.” There I was, lost in thought again, travelling to another galaxy.  “And why should I be glad that there will be no class today?! The prof should have informed us ahead of time. That way I wouldn’t have to wake up early.” I was really mad. I really can’t wake up early because insomnia always visits every night.

“Hey grumpy old troll, just be thankful that we still have time to file for voter’s registration and being this early will give us an advantage.”

Everyone’s been talking about voter’s registration since last week. I am not so interested with it but then, I remembered I needed an ID to open a bank account. I have my school ID and a postal ID but then the bank requires another valid ID and voter’s ID is qualified. And it is the only one that I can have as of the moment.

 So yes, I think I really need to register to exercise my right to vote too. But one problem is, I need to go with someone. I can’t really do something alone and my best bud Morie would not register here in the city because her father said that she should register in their province since she really lived there. And here I am alone again. Should I go with Cynthia and the gang?! I heard they will be registering too. But ughhh.. I guess it’s not a good idea.

“Paging Elle, paging Elle Dela Cruz?! Are you still there?!”

“Sorry. Was about to land in the moon. Haha.”

“Seems like you’re always lost in outerspace. Are you an alien or something?”

“Not that I know of. I think I’m human. I guess I’m human, else I have eaten you up right?!”

“Haha. Naah. Not all aliens eat humans.” He  said.

“Hey, how did you know? Are you one of them?”

“Those silly thoughts of yours. If you’re not the atheletic type, I’ll mistake you for a nerd with what you are saying.”

“I’m sorry to say Mister, you are not mistaken; I am half of both.”

“Half of both, you mean???” His look became puzzled. I guess he misunderstood what I said.

“It’s literal you ninny! Don’t let your mind wonder beyond those words. It doesn’t mean something.”

 I don’t know if he knows my past but I guess by the way I dress and act and walk, he could easily understand it. Who could not?! I wear a baggy pair of pants, a loose shirt, rubber shoes and a big backpack. I walk like most of the guys in our class, oftentimes a lot more guy like than most of them. I always tie my wavy hair, even if it’s still soaking wet. I wear a bull cap whenever possible (as it is not allowed inside the classroom). Yeah. Everyone will be thinking that I am indeed one of the boys.

“Alright then, I am not referring to something. Anyway, have you registered already?!”

“No. Not yet.”

“Cool. Do you want to come with us?! We will be registering today since there’s no class.”

“Can I come?!” I said with no hesitation. I needed to go with someone or else I’d look so pathetic waiting outside all by myself.

“Let’s go. We don’t want the line to get so long.”