IX. Save The Last Dance For Me

A/N: Sorry for the errors (for the nth time)! I do hope you'll enjoy reading this UD. ;)

--

2017 July 5

"Ladies and gentlemen, let us all stand as we welcome one of our guests for tonight - the Vice President of the Republic of the Philippines, Honorable Maria Leonor Robredo!"

The guests stood up and welcomed her warmly. She smiled at them in return. Before she was able to reach the assigned seat for her, she was greeted by Alan and Lani Cayetano.

"VP! We're so glad nakarating po kayo," Lani said after their handshake.

"Oo nga, Ma'am... Buti at napaunlakan niyo ang imbitasyon ng association," Alan butted in.

She smiled before answering them.

"Naku, medyo late na nga ako! May isang event pa kasi akong pinuntahan bago rito. Tapos na yata kayo?"

"Tapos na sa introduction, Ma'am... 'Yong meeting po, hinihintay pa si Mayor Digong," Lani politely answered.

"Ah, wala pa pala si Pangulo? Akala ko sandali lang siya sa Sarangani?"

"Wala pa, Ma'am... Nagtuloy din siya sa Davao kanina kaya medyo natagalan, pero for sure nagmamadali na po 'yon dahil nandito na kayo eh. Kayo ang priority sa list eh and it's great na nakarating kayo. "

The three of them laughed at what Alan said.

"Mahirap lang talaga tanggihan si Pangulo, Sec."

Lani can't stop herself from squealing. "Aruy! Hindi mapahindian... Hmmm."

They all laughed again. The couple walked with her til they reached their shared table.

The host went onstage to announce that the dancefloor will be open to those who would like to dance. Alan and Lani excused themselves from Leni as they went to dance.

When she was alone on the table, she couldn't help but feel slightly sad while watching those who were dancing - it reminded her of her late husband who loves to dance.

Few songs have passed before the host announced Digong's arrival. She got excited and at the same time irritated because he made her wait for the nth time. When he was near their table, she stood up and offered her hand to him - which he didn't accept. Instead, he smiled shyly as he he held her arm and guided her to her seat.

"Late ka na naman," she said coldly as she crossed her arms on her chest.

He just smiled at her and grabbed a glass of water. He drunk the water in less than ten seconds. That's when she noticed how tired he was. Her irritation was replaced with concern.

"Sorry, Ma'am ha... Nagpunta man kasi ako roon sa Sarangani at Davao. Chineck ko man mga kampo doon," he said as he slowly placed his arm on the back of her chair.

She looked at him and offered him her water.

"Oh, tubig pa... Bakit kasi nagbyahe ka pa sa Davao? Sabi mo kahapon Sarangani lang."

He grabbed her glass again and drunk half of it. "Kailangan man... Eto ang trabaho natin..."

"Sus... Kagagaling mo lang, naghahanap ka na naman ng sakit..." She crossed her arms again as her irritation came back.

He just flashed his shy boy smile at her and started talking to Alan.

"Dinadaan ako sa charm ng matandang 'to... Akala niya naman effective!"
She said inside her mind.

She got more irritated and didn't talk to him during the remaining hours of the event.

When the event was almost done and the people were already preparing to leave, Digong grabbed their attention.

"Magandang gabi ulit sa inyo... Pasensya kayo late man ako nagdating... Nagbisita ako sa mga sundalo natin... Nirasyonan ko man sila ng babae..."

The crowd drew laughter from what he said. He looked at where Leni was and he noticed that she rolled her eyes.

"Nainis lalo ang buang..."
He said in his mind.

"Biro lang... Hindi, pasensya man talaga na-late ako... Dili ko man tuloy naabutan 'yong sayawan..."

The crowd laughed again.

"Dili ko man tuloy naisayaw si Ma'am," he said as he looked at Leni's way.

The crowd cheered and Leni's face turned red. She looked down to avoid further embarrassment.

"Mabuti na lang wala man nag-aya sa inyo sa kaniya... Kung 'di... Tsk! Lagot man kayo sa akin!"

The entire event's place was filled with laughter and cheers.

"Kaya if you would allow me... I would just like to dance with this beautiful lady in red..."

The cheers went louder as he walked to where she was. She looked at him seriously as if asking him to stop.

"Sir, ano ka ba? Nakakahiya... Baka mamaya-"

He cut her off. "Ma'am Leni... May we have the last dance for this night?"

The people clapped their hands while the others cheered for Leni to accept Digong's invitation.

"Ma'am... Sige na," Lani said happily, "'Di ba nga po sabi niyo kanina mahirap tanggihan si Pangulo?"

She was caught off guard and left with no choice. She accepted his offer and they proceeded to the dancefloor. The musicians played Rod Stewart's Have I Told You Lately That I Love You? as the two highest officials danced slowly.

"Nakakahiya... Hindi naman ako marunong sumayaw. Baka magkalat lang ako rito." She admitted to him.

He chuckled. "Ano man nakakahiya doon? Eh 'di pareho tayong magkalat... Dili rin man ako marunong magsayaw ba..."

She looked at him as she tried to control her laughter. "Eh hindi ka pala marunong magsayaw, bakit nag-aya ka? Nakakahiya tuloy."

"Bago man ako mawala ba, I just want to dance with you."

She faced him with a serious look. "Ang kulit mo! Hindi ka pa mawawala... Malakas ka pa."

He just smiled at her and he faced the crowd.

"Gwapa man talaga 'tong si Ma'am, noh? Kahapon man sa Air Force dili ako makatingin sa kaniya agad kaya napayuko man ako," he said then turned to her, "You are so beautiful...as always."

The crowd cheered again. She slapped his shoulder lightly.

"Nakakahiya talaga, Sir... Baka kung ano isipin nila..."

"Huwag mo man sila intindihin, Leni..."

She clicked her tongue. "Baka mamaya isipin nila na sobrang special ako sa inyo... Baka mamaya isipin nila na may-"

"Leni, you will always be special to me..."

She looked at him straight. She also stopped dancing. She saw the sincerity in his eyes as he said it. She just flashed him her sweetest smile before she placed her head on his shoulder and went back to dancing again.

Digong placed his head on top of hers. He sighed before he whispered something which he knew she wouldn't hear due to the loud music.

"...kahit hindi tayo."

##