The Lady in the Tavern

The telephone rings again; the clock ticks to the beat of time and the sun prepares to sleep after its hard work painting the morning sky and even then, Jane Ashford was not ready to leave the comfort of her soft bed and warm blankets. This peculiar girl was nothing at all like the young ladies her age whom if in her place, would be all more than eager to awake with the sun and shine brighter than, especially on the grounds that this was no ordinary day. But unlike most, this stubborn, ridiculously rebellious yet wordlessly beautiful dame prefers the silence of her room rather than the carols sung outside her bedroom windows, and would like better to decay underneath the thick dark covers than to dance in the bright sunset for she felt that this day was her last. And due to her unhelpful nature of pertinacity and obstinacy, she easily convinced herself that if she were to remain in bed, the clock would miraculously stop ticking, the telephone would never ring again and she would never have to walk down the aisle the very next day. But alas, her talents of trickery and lies were imperishable to everyone but herself. She knew what really lied ahead of her nevertheless, she also began to recognize that if she wanted to change her fate; she must act quickly as long as time only runs to tomorrow because then it would be too late.

   Meanwhile in the city of Newberry, where all the well-off settle in, lived a handsome yet sorrowfully engaged gentleman who drowned himself in red wine, vodka, tequila and other alcoholic beverages with false hopes that tomorrow never comes. Ryan Andrews was to exchange vows to a woman of lower ranks in the next twenty-four hours as payment for his father's misbehavior against the woman's family. That dreadful day was his life's end and although he heard various rumours of his fiance being the most beautiful lady, he still could not bear the thought of his finger chained in a ring of heavy gold. Having this idea in mind, he chugged viciously on the bottle of red wine he held in his right hand then paused for a moment , only to exchange the drink with the vial of vodka he groped in his other. The mixture of flavours from diverse beverages made his stomach churn while the heavy alcohol shaped his lips in a disgustingly crooked manner. At that moment, even his charming dimples couldn't rescue him from this appalling appearance. This drunk man, who was once a handsome and amiable young gentleman, metamorphosed into an awful-looking, ill-mannered barbarian. This proves that no one, not even the handsome or the rich are in the mercy of the destruction created by alcohol.

   The drunk gazed at the empty bottles in his hands and sighed at his shortage. He could ask the butler to run downtown to fetch more liquor but he knew better. If mother was ever informed of his misbehavior, she would throw a tantrum of elephants especially since he was engaging in drinking the night before the wedding. And so, the drunk decided to go fetch it himself. The drunkard staggered his way downtown and the hour spent travelling was enough time to sober him up a bit. He paused in front of a tavern at Orchid Street---but not just due to his desperate need for alcohol---but because of the woman drinking in the tavern. He found her by far stunning indeed, the moon would be put to shame at such a sight. In an instant, he returned into the well-mannered gentleman he was and slowly approached the woman. With a view from the outside, the fair lady looked as if she was nothing but gentle and calm. Take a closer look however and the tears flowing down her face becomes more evident. Ryan thought that a woman of her beauty musn't cry. What a pity!

  "Is there something bothering you, Miss?" His warm tone relaxed her ears.

  She looked up at him with her emerald eyes and sighed, "Life is never kind."

  "Let's drink to that," he replied and recalled his own position in life as he ordered his beverage.

  "I'm assuming you face troubles too?"

  "Yes, quite the dilemma actually. I'm engaged."

  "Is that bad?" She asked in confusion.

  "Well, it is if I don't love her," he sighed and took a gulp of his drink.

  "Is that so? Well, there must be logic in your engagement. After all, it might be of good reason."

  "I'd definitely like to think so. My father said it was a good match."

  "Why don't you like her?"

  "I don't know," he answered honestly for he had never even met his fiance.

  "Are you gay?" She asked with wide eyes. What a shame for such a handsome young man to be gay! Forget him. What about his poor fiance?

  "What? No!" He answered a little too defensively.

  She giggled then sighed in utter relief, thanking the gods, "I apologize if I offended you in any way. I do hope that you find happiness somehow."

   He fell in love with her laugh and smiled to himself. At this moment, he knew he was going to have a long cheerful night. Music started to play and he offered her a dance which she happily accepted. They danced, talked and laughed the whole night. Just for a little while, they felt at peace as if they could dance and laugh forever. However, time will never be so kind. Soon, it was time to bid goodbye. The fair maiden took pity on herself for she had fallen in love with him, but alas, he was engaged and so was she.

  "Let's run away together," the man blurted out.

  This startled the girl and more than anything she wanted to follow suit. But she couldn't.

  "Why not? Don't you love me too? I love you! I will be willing to marry tomorrow but only to you."

  "I'm already getting married!" She cried.

  With her broken heart, she ran away. She lost all feeling and fell on the wrong side of the road where a car ran her over. There on that road lied the only woman Ryan Andrews ever loved. Jane Ashford had died.