Chapter Twenty-Two | Heartbreak or Heart Attack?

Start from the beginning

"Because, they were looking for you!" I snarled as a sudden surge of strength rushed through my body. In one swift motion, I had managed to pry Matteo's hands from my body and flip him over me. His body smashed down onto the wooden conference table in front of me. The loud crack of the wood as it buckled in two snapped me out of my murderous trance.

It was as if someone had just thrown an entire bucket of ice water over my body. My entire self suddenly went rigid as every cell in my body froze over. My mouth dropped in realization, and my eyes grew as they looked down to view Matteo groaning on the floor from the powerful impact to not only the table but then the floor as well.

I gulped and took a step back. My eyes raised from Matteo to see every single pair of eyes in the room staring at me.

I couldn't really blame them, though. I did just smash an Alpha into a table.

Men stood in front of their mates in an act of protection. Their intense stares all sending me the same message. If I made one wrong move, I was a goner.

"I—I," I stuttered, shaking my head as my eyes moved around the room. Kaden was no longer looking at me. Instead, he stood gaping at my mate who I just managed to whip through the air like a rag doll. As everything began setting in, I had this weird achy feeling in my chest that made it feel like a fat sumo wrestler decided to sit on me. I hated it.

Is this was heartbreak feels like?

Can your own brother even cause heartbreak?

"I think I better go take a nap," I panicked as I started running out of the room. My body was a shaking mess, and I knew it was in no way a smart idea to shift now unless I wanted to die.

Just when I was starting to act chivalrous.

"Kai, don't!" Matteo shouted in pained voice as I pushed my way to the door. I didn't want to see Kaden, and I definitely didn't want to see Matteo. I already know what kind of screaming match was coming after the scene I had just caused.

"She just f--kin' threw your ass!"

"Barron!"

"I just need a break!" I shouted over top of Barron and Farrah's arguing and the sound of heavy footsteps which had followed me out of the room. I only made it about three-fourths of the way down the hall before the footsteps caught up to me.

Two strong hands grabbed ahold of my body and turned me around to face the person that I hated to look at the most in that moment because I knew I'd just disappointed him so badly.

We were doing so well.

My jaw was chattering like crazy. My hands were shaking, and it felt like every time I took in a deep breath, my lungs were on fire. I wasn't even sure if I trusted my legs because they felt as though they would buckle under me at any second.

Was I having a heart attack at nineteen years old? Sure feels like it.

"Kaia—Kai, you need to calm down!" Matteo shouted which just managed to freak me out even more. He looked pissed. I had just ninja-flipped him into a table, and I was now waiting for my impending doom. If Matteo didn't kill me, my heart attack sure was.

"I—I—," I stuttered trying to get anything out, but nothing came. I could barely catch my breath let alone make a comprehensible sentence.