Chapter Three

Decan's Journal: So, after following an infected I discovered that they take dead humans to bodies of water. For what reason they do it I'm unsure of. But when I was there, I saw something. Something strange. I wasn't able to make out what it was, but I saw it. Something is down there, and I intend on finding out what.

     "What happened?" Miller said to me as he sat me down on the couch and grabbed me a wet cold towel.

"Well, with it being the week that they all leave, I saw an infected. I didn't know why it was still here because we both know they leave during the night. I followed it cause I wanted to see where all the infected go." I told him.

"Well? Where do they go?" He asked me.

"They gathered at a lake. There had to be at least a thousand of them there. When that last one got there, they all started throwing bodies into the lake, then they went in themselves. I went closer to the water and looked down into it. I saw something down there. I don't know what it was but it was something" I said.

"Okay? then what?" He asked curiously.

"I tripped and fell into the water. And out of my natural reaction, I shouted. Then I noticed they all started to swim up towards me so I got out as quickly as I could and got on the bike. I started riding away when one jumped onto the back of the bike. He slashed the tire and I tried to keep going but he flipped it over and then I fell and started rolling. Thats how I got all scratched up." I told him.

"Well are you okay?" he asked.

"yes, I'm fine. Luckily I made it out safely, but I need some rest. So much for our break, huh?" i said resting my head on the pillow behind and me slowly dozing off.

      I woke up in extreme pain. My head was hurting and ringing, my legs were stinging, my feet were burning, and I could barely move my arms. I had never felt such pain in my whole life. I looked over and saw Miller pacing back and forth by the door.

"Miller.." I called out to him under my breath. He looked over at me and said,

"Oh, good, you're awake. So then, what are we gonna do about our situation?" I continued to stare at him.

"We aren't gonna do anything. You are gonna do something. Do you see me?" I said to him.

"yeah, yeah.. Of course. I'll take care of them." he said as he stared at all the scratches on my body. I lied there in silence.

"We aren't gonna survive this.." I said breaking the silence.

"What are the chances we actually will?" I said as tears slowly rolled down my face and I gave a small chuckle. Miller looked at me and stopped pacing.

"Don't think like that. We are alive for a reason. We both know that so don't start feeling all down on me now, not when we need each other the most." He said before I stopped him.

"LOOK AT ME! DO YOU SEE THIS? DO YOU SEE THE CONDITION I"M IN RIGHT NOW? THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO!" I shouted at him with anger as I forced myself to stand up.

"Don't tell me what to do or how to feel because I'm not gonna deal with your crap right now, do you hear me?" I told him as I wiped the tears off of my face. He didn't say anything. He nodded, grabbed his weapons and stormed outside. Seconds later I could hear gunshot after gunshot along with blood being splattered everywhere. I decided I'd stay, I didn't want to look. I went upstairs and turned the shower on. I turned the water hot and steam filled the room. I continued to hear the gunshots as I washed the blood off of my body and down into the drain. After getting out of the shower I dried off and got dressed, then headed downstairs where I saw Miller sitting.

    I grabbed my phone off the arm of the couch and looked at it. Dry, as usual. I went and looked at my old texts, reminiscing on my past years. Looking through them I gained joy for my good moments, but sadness that they were gone. This was a new world we were now living in. I knew that I would have to try my best to survive and to get past this. I knew that if I continued to live with this attitude then I wouldn't survive. Suddenly, I had a change of heart. I sat my phone back down and said to Miller,

"lets go, we should look for more supplies." I said to him limping to the door.

"You're hurt, we can't" He told me as he got up and pulled me away from the door.

"yes, I can, and I will." i said to him. We both began to walk out the door, but before closing it, we heard something. A noise from inside the house. It came from my phone, something we hadn't heard in over a year. Both of our hearts started to race. I looked over at him and said,

"Did you hear that?"