38. Yes Officer?

Mulai dari awal

"Uh, last Thursday w-when I blew up at my mom" I said, not wanting to meet Cori's eyes because she was probably highly confused.

"Can you explain that a little bit more?" Smiles asked and I nodded shakily.

"She was being unfair and I called her out on it. I guess what made things weird was when I left for the night and neither my mom or my dad checked up on me. Then the next day I went to Tallahassee for the weekend, she didn't really try to stop me. It was Sunday night when I got home that I woke up to hearing them yell and talk about me" I said.

"And what did you hear?" The other one asked.

"I heard them talk about taking me in, they insinuated that I wasn't theirs, that I was adopted. I-it was confirmed yesterday" I said.

"Can you tell us what happened last night?" The other one asked as the smiley one offered me a small smile.

"You're doing great Alissa." He whispered. I smiled a little in return as Heath walked into the room, standing next to his mom. At a quick glance I could see that he'd been crying.

Shit.

I looked back to the police and stammered a little, realising I had no idea what the question was.

"I-I'm sorry, what was the question?" I asked. Damn it Alissa, don't get flustered!

"We just want to know what happened last night" The smiley one said. I took a deep breath and nodded. They knew I had a black eye and was clearly on edge about something.

"I came around here yesterday after tutoring my friend David and hung out with Heath, everything was normal. I uh, I stayed for dinner and then I went home. My older brother was home when I got there and he scared the crap out of me before yelling, telling me that he finally doesn't have to pretend to love me anymore. He confirmed that I was adopted and then began to beat me. I called for my friend Scott who lived next door, hoping he'd hear me and rescue me." I explained and they nodded.

"And your family haven't been in contact with you since?" The other one asked and I nodded.

"They don't give a shit, clearly" I muttered, earning a smile from him.

"Okay, I think we have all we need to know." The smiley one said.

"Wait, what are you going to do now?" I asked.

"Allie" Cori said, meaning I didn't need to know.

"This is my life, I want to know what happens from here. Are you going to go around and arrest Matt?" I asked, looking to the cops. They looked to each other before looking back at me. The one who hardly smiled answered.

"we're going to go around and arrange a meeting with your parents and see what happens from there. We'll mention that the Hussar's are happy to take you in and if they refuse, we'll talk to a child services worker and go from there. We're going to try our best to make sure you don't have to be anywhere you don't want to be" He said and I nodded once, happy with the response.

"Anywhere I'm not with Heath is somewhere I don't want to be" I answered truthfully.

The cops stood and spoke to Cori and Mark while Heath walked slowly over to me.

"Did you mean that?" He asked, after a long time.

"About not wanting to be without you?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yeah, that part" He said as I nodded, standing to my feet.

"Of course I meant it Heath. Remember, you're mine. I don't have a lot anymore but I've got you and that's somehow more than enough." I whispered, moving closer to him.