54. Last day of summer

Chapter 54: Last day of summer

Ethan's POV

*****

"Come on Eth, school's tomorrow. Let's go and have a bit of fun on our last day of summer," Jake begged, trying as best as he could to get me out of the house. 

It had been the same story for days. Jake was trying his utmost to make me forget about Kelsey for just one second and allow myself to go out and have fun with him like we used to before she left. 

"Jake, I have to take care of my siblings," I said, using it as an excuse to be able to say no.

I did not feel like going out to any party. Kelsey leaving was still a fresh wound for me, and I didn't feel like going to a place full of loud, happy people when I was so miserable. If she were there things would have been a lot different. I would have asked her to come with us, or I would have simply decided to spend a night in with her, watching movies and laughing about anything and everything. Things were much darker for me once she walked out of my life, and no party was going to bring back that light in my life. 

"Come on bro, you can't keep moping around for Kelsey. I know you love her, and she sure as heck loves you, but right now she's all the way across the world, while I'm right here. Your best friend is right here," he said, placing a hand on my shoulder. "We don't have to go to a party, we could go anywhere you want, just please get up and let's go out."

I appreciated everything that he was trying to do. Jake's plan was much more than getting me to go to a party. It was to try and get me back to the Ethan I was before. He and I hadn't spent much time together ever since Kelsey left, and part of that was because of my basketball practice, but the rest of the reason was simply the fact that the only thing I actually found myself wanting to do was lay in bed. 

Jake sighed as he noticed that I wasn't budging and sat down next to me on the bed, looking at me with a worried expression. "There's a lot more than you're telling me, is there? Come on, what's wrong?" 

"Fine, if you want to know the truth, here it is. I'm afraid, Jake. Nothing changed between Kelsey and I except for the fact that we're not together together anymore, but I know that someday she'll find someone else, and our relationship will change. Maybe we'd still be friends, but it wouldn't be the same. I'm so selfish for wanting her to be happy with me, but I can't help it. She's my Kelsey, my princess. I don't want anyone else to take her away from me," I sighed as I moved my hands through my hair in frustration before plopping back on the bed. 

Saying it out loud made me sound like a selfishly possessive person, but that was not the case. I didn't see anything wrong with loving somebody so much that you'd want them to be around you all the time. Spending my days waking up and wondering if she may have crossed her paths with the one who would someday steal her heart was killing me, and even if it hadn't happened yet, I knew that it would be inevitable. 

I found myself wondering whether she had already heard the song I wrote for her, and the voice message that I left at the end of it. She promised me that she would, but I didn't hear anything else from her after that. I was afraid that she thought that I was coming off too strong, and I suddenly felt like an idiot for ever saying things like that to her, making her see me as possessive and clingy. 

"Eth, what you and Kelsey have is so strong. She's not going to find another guy just after a week. If she does, then I'm sorry but she never loved you. When you love someone you don't just forget about them after a week. Besides, Meg told me that Kelsey talks about you nonstop. She's in love with you, anyone with half a brain can see that," Jake said.