Confessions

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Anakin?" Obi-Wan asked, climbing into the cramped spacecraft. Anakin turned.

"It's perfect. The assasin will see I'm after him on a wild bantha chase and try again. Then we'll catch him" He said with great confidence.

"And if we don't get there in time?" Obi-Wan said quietly.

"I meant what I said, Master". Anakin smiled at the older man.

"I trust her. And I think that's just what she needs to see". Obi-Wan nodded and the two Jedi fell into silence.

Kiara watched Padme transform. As soon as Anakin was out of sight, the Senator calmed down and gently apologized to all in the room for her unseemly behavoir.

The senator smiled brightly at a baffled Kiara, who let none of her questions show on her tranquil face.

"You don't talk much, do you?" Padme said, almost sounding amused. Kiara said nothing and Padme nodded to herself. The silent Padawan settled against a wall where she could oberserve the room's occupants as well as the entrance and windows.

It was late at night before Senator Amidala stopped her work. She was prepared for bed by her handmaiden and Kiara moved silently to the Senator's bedchamber. Padme ordered her handmaiden away and settled on the large bed before turning to Kiara.

"It won't be easy...being his Padawan, I mean. You should know the truth if you are to help him". Kiara said nothing but she listened intently.

"Come and sit with me" Padme bid her. Kiara crossed the bedchamber on silent feet and settled awkwardly on the edge of the senator's large bed.

"Yoda said I should tell you everything I know about your Master. Yes, I know why you were assigned to Anakin" Padme said upon seeing shock fly across the silent girl's face before it was quickly concealed.

"Anakin grew up in slavery. If it wasn't for Master Qui-Gon, he would still be there now. After Qui-Gon's death, Obi-Wan chose to honor his master's last wish and take Anakin as his Padawan. About two years ago, Anakin was assigned to protect me after a few attempts on my life".

"We spent many happy and carefree days on Naboo. But," Padme looked down at her hands, clenched tightly in her lap. She took a deep breath before continuing.

"He fell in love with me. And it has been tearing him apart ever since. He is afraid to lose me as he lost his mother. I saw what that loss did to him...he changed and was darker somehow. He admitted to slaughtering the horrible creatures that killed her. I didn't understand at the time".

"When I believed we were about to die, on Geonosis, I admitted to loving him back. It was weak of me and I regret it now. When we returned to Coruscant, I went to Master Yoda and told him everything. He said he would help Anakin. I have been distancing myself from him ever since. His love for me will destroy him, and I can't let that happen. You can save him from this fate, Yoda knows this and I believe it. But the choice is yours, Kiara. Will you help Anakin?" Padme asked tearfully.

Kiara looked at the senator, so self-sacrificing and brave, ignoring her own feelings in order to save the one she loved. Slowly, Kiara nodded, and reassured Padme with the first smile she had given in a long time.

Kiara sat quietly in the darkened room. Padme's gentle breathing was the only sound as the young Padawan reached out through the Force to sense any threats.

Sleep was incredibly tempting, but Kiara refused to let her guard down. One mistake could mean Padme's death.

She had been waiting only four standard hours when she sensed someone approaching...someone with murderous intentions toward a certain senator.

Not making a sound, Kiara rose and awakened Padme with a gentle shove.

"Wha..." the senator's question was cut short by Kiara's small hand over he mouth. Understanding dawned in Padme's eyes and at the Padawan's gesture, she crawled under the bed.

Kiara held her unlit lightsaber tightly.

A small round object was tossed into the room through the window. Glass shards clattered to the floor and the object let out several quick beeps.