Chapter 71 : Year 4

Start from the beginning

"I—am not—helping you—jinx—her," I grunted, pausing between words as I attempted to yank myself out of Bletchley's clutches.

He ignored my retaliation completely, pulling me effortlessly toward Alicia and her friends with all of his seventh year brawn. "This is a good learning experience, Mudblood. If you want to be a part of our team, you need to learn how to play it rough off the field as well."

"I never wanted to be on your team!" I whispered furiously. "I wasn't given much of a choice—"

"All right," he interrupted, his eyes fixed on Alicia as he hid us behind a tall bookshelf. "Watch very closely, Mudblood. I doubt you've ever seen magic of this intensity." His eyebrows jumped at me before he began to pull his wand out, and I immediately reached for it.

"Stop—don't—just—go take one of your potions—or something—"

Bletchley ignored my demands, however, as he aimed his wand straight at Alicia, who sat with her back to us at one of the tables. "Capillus Longos," he whispered, casting an invisible jinx in her direction that seemed not to faze her in the slightest.

His head cocked to the side in confusion as he began to tap his wand against his palm. "Why—isn't—it—working—"

"Oh! Alicia!" one of her friends suddenly exclaimed, her face contorting in horror as she nearly jumped out of her seat. "Your eyebrows!"

Alicia immediately dropped her quill and brought her hands up to her eyebrows, which, even from where we stood, were visibly growing at an exponential rate.

"I can't—I can't see—" Alicia stammered, standing up as she tried to push the rapidly lengthening hair out of her eyes. Her friends rushed to help her while Bletchley nearly peed his pants with excitement.

"It worked—it actually worked!" he exclaimed, earning a few scowls from the people studying nearby. Alicia and her friends didn't even notice his feverish outburst as they quickly ushered her out of the library.

Like the studying students, I was feeling particularly resentful because of his cruel enthusiasm. Instead of scolding him, which was a tactic that had proven useless with Miles Bletchley, I decided to eat the grape flavored gummy that had been sitting in my pocket for two weeks and allow someone a bit more threatening deal with the situation.

"Her eyebrows," Bletchley chortled, barely breathing through his laughter. "They were just—so long—"

"Mr. Bletchley," I interrupted in a deep, droning voice that—without trying—perfectly resembled Severus Snape's. Bletchley's snickers instantly ceased as his body went rigid with panic. "Detention tonight at seven."

"But Professor," he began to whine as he whipped around to face me. As soon as he saw that I was the only being present and Snape was nowhere to be found, his brow furrowed and his eyes darted frenziedly. "Wha—where—where is he?"

I shrugged with faked uncertainty. "He's gone now, but I guess you'll see him in detention tonight."

"Dammit," Bletchley blurted as he banged his fist on the side of the bookshelf. "That'll be the third detention I have to skip this week! Montague would murder me if I skipped practice..."

"Third detention this week?" I questioned incredulously. "It's only Wednesday."

"Yeah, well, that eyebrow girl isn't the first one I've jinxed," Bletchley replied wryly. "Mistook a few Ravenclaws for Gryffindors on Monday and it did not go well for them. Flitwick wasn't too pleased... And I tried to hex one of those dumb Weasleys yesterday and McGonagall went bonkers—"