three: insecure

this was inspired by the song 'insecure' by shane. it's a bop so check it out.

betty's pov

jughead and i have been dating for almost three months now, and i won't hesitate to say that i'm the happiest i've been in a while.
what i thought was 'happiness' while i was obsessing over archie was just me telling myself that i was fine. after he told me he didn't share the feelings that i felt toward him, i continuously wondered what i'd done wrong. i was miserable- but those feelings are in the past.
i'm genuinely glad to be with jughead. i've never experienced love firsthand until now, and after spending hours thinking about it, i'm ready to tell him. finding the right moment to say it hasn't been the hard part. i'm afraid that jughead won't feel the same way, so i always end up chickening out and changing the subject.
"i was so close to saying it, veronica. i told him how glad i was that we were together, but he didn't even respond with any words, he just nodded and wouldn't look at me," i told my friend over the phone. i was worried, so i called her after jughead dropped me at home from our date.
"i'm sure he feels the same way, betty. you know how hard it is to read jughead's expressions, he could've been thinking literally anything," she told me in an attempt to calm me down.
"that doesn't help. aren't i supposed to be able to tell how he's feeling? i mean i was about to tell him i love him! what does that say about me?" i nervously shout into the phone, beginning to pace around my room. "am i doing this all wrong? i mean i don't have much experience and-"
"hey, chill for a second!" veronica cuts me off. "the only thing you're doing right now is freaking yourself out. just talk to him about it, that's the best option here."
i sigh loudly. "thanks, v."
•••••
the whole drive over to juggie's place the next morning i kept thinking about what would happen if he didn't feel how i did about him. maybe this was because of what happened between archie and i, but i tried to put it in the back of my mind.
i pull up to his house and take a deep breath before approaching his door. i knock three times and wait for him to answer. i hear the sound of him unlocking the deadbolt, getting more nervous by the second. he opens the door and i can tell that he's surprised to see me, but an almost unnoticable smile forms on his lips.
"hey betts, i wasn't expecting you," he tells me with a bit of confusion.
"oh, i know, i just need to talk to you about something," i say as he moves to allow me to enter his home.
"okay, what's up?"
i sigh and close my eyes for a moment, the butterflies in my stomach erupting all of a sudden.
"jug, i know how i feel about you. but i'm not so sure how you feel about me," i say as he awkwardly stares back at me.
he glances down at the ground before responding. "so what are you saying?"
"i'm saying that i want to tell you how i feel but i'm scared."
he says nothing.
"see, this is what i'm talking about!" i say, getting a little annoyed and raising my voice. "i'm scared that you don't feel the same way because you don't talk to me about these things, so i feel like i'm left in the dark in my own relationship."
jughead walks closer to me before speaking, "betty, i've always had problems expressing myself. and in no way did i mean to hurt you, but i'm scared too. i don't deserve you at all. i'm so insecure that i tell myself you won't feel the same way."
i can feel my eyes watering as he speaks. i place a hand on his cheek and he closes his eyes, comforted by my touch.
"i love you, jughead," i whisper, and he smiles at my words. "i've known deep down for a while. i hate when you say that you don't deserve me because i'm not perfect by any means; i never will be." i crack a small smile before continuing, "and don't you tell me you're not falling in love, or else this all will have been a waste."
he laughs quietly at my words before nodding. "i love you too, betts. i'm sorry that you felt like you had to force it out of me."
"hey, you know me- i don't stop 'til i get what i want," i say, earning a laugh from jughead. he pulls me down onto the couch before pressing his lips onto mine with passion. we pull apart abruptly, as i'm shocked by his sudden action.
"well if i'd known you'd do that i would've confessed months ago," i spoke jokingly, returning my lips to his.
•••••
hm i don't like this that much but i'm just gonna post it anyway bc it's not like many people are reading this book anyway lol:)