Chapter 6 - A feast

James Potter was enjoying being in the Malfoy Manor, and that was a first. It was probably in part because the old hag - Azalea Malfoy had made herself scarce. Azalea Malfoy had a way of looking at James that bordered on lecherous, it made James feel as if a thousand slimy spiders were crawling all over his skin. Today however, the sun was at its highest and it was a warm day. There was good music, great food and alcohol flowed freely. The Malfoy's sure knew how to throw a party. James was an auror by profession and a musician by passion. The music being played today - Mozart, Beethoven, although surprising, considering its muggle origin and Malfoy's prejudiced attitude, was one of the few things that could uplift James's mood anytime.

James looked into the depths of his flute of champagne.

Contemplating.

The Potter's were the oldest wizarding family of wine conglomerates. Infact, fire-whiskey - the wizarding poison , was manufactured by the Potters. They also owned vineyard after vineyard of the Pinot Noir grape. One of the reasons the Pinot Noir wine elicited such devotion from the upper class wizarding society was because the grape was really hard to grow, which resulted in a great bottle of Pinot Noir being a rare find. The Potters had made their fortune by discovering a way to magically cultivate the grape, such that the wine was always perfect. Having a good head for business, they had kept this knowledge a closely guarded family secret. It had always been rumored that the Malfoys made exceptionally great wine, but could not mass produce it, so it had never been a viable business for them. Thus, there had been a competitive edge, bordering on a vendetta, between the Potters and the Malfoys, each trying to pry the others secret open. Tasting the Malfoy label today though, with concentrated and strong aromas of morello cherry, almond and cherry stone got a hundred different ideas running in his head. A fruity bouquet - thought James - and amazing.

A pity the Malfoys were firmly set on the pureblood philosophy, something no Potter would ever see eye to eye with. Looked like the wine vendetta would continue, and the world would lose a great wine, thought James sadly. He suddenly realised he was getting all sentimental over a glass of wine - although to be fair, his father would be very proud that James was finally embracing his heritage. James chuckled softy, out on his right he could sense Lily shooting daggers at him. He shook his head, the wine was getting to him, and he had promised Lily that he wouldn't drink much today.

The bride and the groom walked hand in hand, and there was a collective sigh from the ladies. James rolled his eyes; If being married for five months had taught him something, it was not to make a snarky comment right about now. He knew if he turned to his right , he would find Lily dabbing her eyes. James never got what the fuss was about weddings anyways. Granted, the flowers were good, the feast was spectacular, but how did all of this put together make one cry? Even so, James knew better not to ask Lily all this, the guest room bed was very uncomfortable, and these were the kind of questions that usually got him banished there. The female mind was always and would continue to be beyond James.
Mad-eye Moody had sent in four of his best Aurors to the Malfoy Mansion today -rather three - James had always been better behind the scene of action. The department had confirmed intelligence reports that Azalea and Accurcius Malfoy had met with Voldemort last week. What went on in the hour long meeting was something the department had no clue about, except that Accurcius and Azalea had come out of it with different expressions -Azalea exhilarated and Acurcius distinctly uncomfortable.
Frank Longbottom was undercover as his father Hugo Longbottom's assistant , and Sirius Black, James best friend was posing as the Potter's family pet - snuffles. Lily and James were here of course as guests. Each of them had an an enchanted object that would heat up if anyone was in danger. For example, if James were to get into trouble , and wanted to call for help, all he had to do was to touch his wristwatch and the other three would get alerted. His wife Lily had herself put in the enchantments and James was confident that they would be able to get what they came for.
Suddenly his watch heated up. James looked at the dial and there in Franks's handwriting were the words. 'Help ! Room like a church!!'
James looked around in alarm, Lily was staring at her locket the pendant of which echoed the same words. Snuffles - he must have felt his collar heat up - bounded towards the castle just as James cried out 'Sirius wait!'...
James realised his mistake as soon as the words slipped out of his mouth and shut up. James didn't want to be the one who blew their cover, the consequences of that would be disastrous. Especially for him. James thought about Mad Eye's expression if the departments hand in today's mission was exposed , and gulped.

He looked around nervously to check if anyone had heard.

Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy were striding towards them,and neither looked like the happy couple they were a few seconds back. James mentally said goodbye to being an auror. He would be better off as a wine connoisseur really, that is if Mad Eye left him alive.

---------------*--------------
Lucius Malfoy had been watching the Potters since they had arrived at the wedding. There was something about those two that didn't feel right to him. That they were aurors by profession, and the Malfoy's didn't have the most impeccable reputation, didn't bother him as must as the fact that their gazes were more searching rather than admiring. Although, if they were indeed undercover aurors, then James Potter certainly was acting the part perfectly, guzzling the Malfoy wine like there was no tomorrow,thought Lucius with disdain.
Lucius had always been burdened with the stigma associated with the Malfoy name since he was a child. Other children were either too base born for him to be allowed to play with or were pure bloods with a simpering attitude he hated. Andromeda Black was his only first friend for a long time. Lucius had found love when her sister had joined Hogwarts two years later. Today however was a test of his love and friendship, and he didn't want any more on his plate!
The events of the morning were still fresh in his mind, Lucius's mother and brother were now dead and Narcissa's father, on feeling that the deal with Malfoy's was not going to work, was threatening to get Narcissa Married to the next higher bidder. Lucius had no choice but to marry Narcissa today.

What was to be the happiest day of their lives was marred by the knowledge that his mother and brother were waiting to be buried as soon as the wedding got over.

Lucius looked across the hall at the Potters , Narcissa saw where he was looking.
"What's a swarm of Aurors doing here on our wedding day?" Narcissa asked with a tiny frown.

"They were invited darling" drawled Lucius in his most carefree voice, he was was not going to worry her on their wedding day "And two Aurors is hardly a swarm"

"Three" breathed Narcissa slowly staring at the dog.

Lucius felt a trickle of unease. He followed his wife's gaze "You mean to say the dog is .." 

"My cousin Sirius Black" finished Narcissa.

"Are ... you sure about this Cissa?" asked Lucius with a hard look on his face. Granted his family had done despicable things in the past, but as of now he was the head of Malfoy's. And these Aurors had no business of being here.

"Positive my love" began Naricssa "I once saw Sirius transform in the attic of Grimmauld Place when he thought no one was looking. Also he makes for a terrible dog" she finished with a grimace.

Lucius looked at the dog the Potters were calling 'snuffles'. Narcissa had a point there. Now that he thought about it, if this was indeed her cousin, he did make for a terrible dog. The dog kept lowering his head to look under witches robes. Something Lucius remembered the bloke doing at Hogwarts in his human form as well.
Lucius and Narcissa began to stride towards the Potter's.