Chapter 1 - Nathan

Start from the beginning

"Well, I'm not the one who gets into trouble for reaching class after it's over," she answered, pulling away from him and sitting up.

"You are so in trouble, Red," Nathan growled as he pulled her back down and started tickling her.

As he tickled her, she squealed and laughed, filling the room with the sound of her voice. Just watching her so happy made all the bad thoughts and memories disappear and Nathan knew that he would be alright.

"Stay with me," Nathan whispered as he touched her cheek.

"Always," Ansyl promised and that was all he needed.

Five years ago, Nathan had watched her very face walk down the hallway of his school, lost and unsure about where to go. Now he woke up to that very face, always smiling at him and supporting him through every decision of his life.

For him, Ansyl was it, so the very thought of her leaving him behind was beyond unbearable.

Leaning against his pillow, he watched her as she pulled her hair into a pony tail, getting ready for her morning classes.

After graduating from high school, Nathan had been lucky enough to get into the same college as Ansyl. Since they both needed a place to stay, there wasn't an option better than the two of them getting an apartment together.

"What are you staring at?" Ansyl asked, looking at him. "For once in your life you're up on time. Do you still want to be late?"

"Do you want me to come after you again?" he retorted as she gave him a sheepish smile.

Then before he had the chance to react, Ansyl jumped out of bed and headed to the bathroom to get ready for class. Laughing to himself, he decided that he would let her off this time and got out of bed as well.

While Ansyl took a shower, Nathan sauntered to the kitchen and started working on breakfast.

By the time Ansyl finished getting dressed for college, breakfast was on the table. Quickly kissing her forehead, Nathan headed to his own room to get ready for class but his feet suddenly stopped moving as a sudden chill passed through his body. The hair on the back of his neck stood as goosebumps came to life on his skin. He felt as if someone was watching him.

He looked back to see if Ansyl was looking at him from the kitchen but she was too busy eating. Turning his head, he looked to the glass doors that led to the balcony but there was no one there either. However, even then Nathan couldn't look away as if his mind was waiting for something or someone to appear.

"Everything okay?" Ansyl called out from the kitchen, peeking at him from the doorway.

"Yeah," Nathan answered.

His eyes still watched the balcony but his feet had already started moving, the feeling of being watched still weighing on his shoulders.

Nathan decided that whatever he was feeling was because of his nightmare and focused on getting ready for class on time. Once he was done, he quickly ate breakfast while Ansyl gathered her books as well as his.

In a matter of minutes, the two had locked up their apartment, gotten into their car, and headed for college. On the way there, just like always, Ansyl turned on the radio, the volume on full as the two sang to each and every song.

After a half-hour drive, Nathan walked down the hall with Ansyl as she smiled and greeted people. It was like her to make friends wherever she went even though he never really understood how she did it.

Soon she was waving and smiling at a brunette who stood by a trash bin, a cigarette in her hand. That was Brianna – Ansyl's best friend and a person that Nathan could never come to like.