Picking Up the Fork

I woke up to the sound of the bells. Finally, I thought, it's lunchtime. I made my way out of the classroom and picked my usual spot on the third table on the very right of the entrance of the cafeteria. I, Kayleigh Murrow, had beautifully packed pasta leftovers from last night's dinner. My friends gathered around the table, picking at my delicious food.

"Your mom is really the best cook, Kay," Lia smiled. She was my very best friend from the time I could remember. I was about to say something back when she pulled my arm to divert my attention. "He's coming this way, oh my gosh."

I rolled my eyes. Lia's eyes were trained on Mason Knowles, her crush for the last five years. I didn't really understand how she could develop a crush on him. We (collectively speaking: both of us) never held a 2-minute conversation with the guy. Thinking about it made my head hurt. On the other hand, I pity her: he hasn't shown any sign of interest in her. But, of course, I never told Lia that. I did enjoy aggravating her, though. "You look fine, Lia. No need to fix your weave," I said a little too loudly.

She smacked my arm as hard as she could, earning her a glance from Mason. "I don't wear a weave," she announced to any and all who heard me. She nudged me with her elbow in annoyance. Unfortunately, my fork fell on the floor as a result. I NEED MY FORK TO EAT.

Lia smirked. "Some payback, huh?" I bent over to pick it up, glaring at Lia. Just as I touched the fork, someone else's hand grabbed it, too, and all of a sudden my body felt heavy-- like a block.

I stood up to realize that I wasn't the 5'5" girl that I was three seconds ago. I was verging on 6 feet with 150 pounds of muscle weighing down every part of my body. I'm in Mason's body.

"Sorry, Mason," Lia said shyly. Iooked at Mason in my body, and he looked at me.

I decided to do Lia a favor. After all, she helped me with Calculus earlier this year. "Hey, Lia," I-well, Mason's body-started, "would you like to go to the movies with me?"

Mason, now in my body, gave me a hard glare. Ew, I look ugly when I glare. "Oh my gosh, um, yeah!"

"I eat frogs," Mason said. But, to others around us, it was me who said it.

I struggled to move Mason's heavy body around, but I managed to frolic around several tables, "Do-re-mi-fa-sol-la-ti-do!!"

People around us tried to talk to us and ask what was going on, but even after three years of being strangers whilst attending the same school, we competed in an unspoken challenge to embarrass the heck out of each other.

We rebudded on and on until the bells signaled the end of lunch, and only then did we realize that we had switched bodies back.

And, only then did I realize that despite the reputation I might have had before was diminished, I had fun with Mason-or, in a sense, myself.

-Chaz

hehehe ^///^