xii

GUYS PREPARE YOURSELVES I GOT SO MANY FEELS WHILE WRITING THIS #SHOOK

That night, the king did not come to Scheherazade's chambers.

She was forced to endure the unique torture that only the mind can inflict. Their enemies --to be clearer, her enemies-- were not to be taken lightly. The death of that innocent servant was nothing but a message. It showed just how dangerous they were.

Shahryar must have been busy managing the chaos that had erupted among the servants. The victim was seventeen years of age and she had been working in the kitchens for more than five years. Nobody knew anything about her parents, yet they all mourned her death as if they were her true family.

It almost reminded Scheherazade of the brothel. There was competition between the girls, of course, but they were also each other's support. In a way, they had helped her not lose her mind.

The doors to her chambers finally opened, but the visitor was not Shahryar.

It was a distressed looking Nada who was wringing her hands while avoiding to look at Scheherazade.

And she found out why as the loud bells began to ring.

The bell that signified a wedding. The king's wedding, to be precise.

"I am so sorry." Nada whispered.

And everything felt like it was falling apart.

They had told her when she first stepped foot into the castle that they did not celebrate the weddings. it must have become tiring to be involved in a new festivity every day. And yet, the bell was a custom to announce the reign of a new queen.

She had heard it hundreds of times before. She never thought she would hear it again.

A part of Scheherazade commanded self-control. She should stay composed because she was the queen and she would not let anyone rip that title from her.

And yet, another part was flooded with questions. Because, as much as she wanted to deny it, she had began trusting Shahryar.

  This is why you shouldn't trust people.

"Who?" She asked finally, standing up from the bed and heading towards the window.

"She's a slave from the city." Nada murmured. "We do not know when he met her or why he decided to marry her. He'd never done this before, my queen."

He is crazy, Scheherazade thought, her fingers unconsciously tightening over the stone railing. What other explanation was there?

Was this his way of getting sexual satisfaction? But he had never pressured her into anything. He had never made her feel as if she should give him something that so many had taken before without a second thought.

"Tell Karam to come here."

Nada frowned but left nonetheless.

Scheherazade's pride was her most prized possession, and perhaps her downfall, and she wouldn't let anyone, even a king, make her feel like a puppet.

  "I knew that cur was going to create nothing but problems." Karam snapped as soon as he closed the door behind him.

"I hope the rebellion manages to get rid of him before he burns us all to the ground. And you. Who does he think he is to play you like some--"